VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I joined 2 avi files (with Avidemux); in the new file at the point they joined, there's a bit of unpleasant noise.

What should I do, please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try another joiner, like virtualdub or....hmmm don't know any others. Probably because lossless perfect joining isn't that simple. Some times it works better to join and remux with mkvmergegui to a mkv file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If trying another joinrer doesn't help, may be able to "fix" it in an audio editor, such as Audacity.
    Once the sound is fixed in the audio editor, save it and remux/convert it back with the original video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try another joiner, like virtualdub or....hmmm don't know any others. Probably because lossless perfect joining isn't that simple. Some times it works better to join and remux with mkvmergegui to a mkv file.
    Thank you, Baldrick!

I did try VirtualDub first, but that failed as detailed here. Oh well, it's not extremely bad, but I hate to make public something imperfect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    I joined 2 avi files (with Avidemux); in the new file at the point they joined, there's a bit of unpleasant noise.

Could you cut out a few frames at the join without it being obvious?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If trying another joinrer doesn't help, may be able to "fix" it in an audio editor, such as Audacity.
    Once the sound is fixed in the audio editor, save it and remux/convert it back with the original video.
    Thank you, davexnet, I like that!

Because while I'm a video noob, I'm very experienced with audio editors. Now I just need to learn how to get the sound off and later back onto the avi, after deciding whether to use Avidemux or VirtualDub to do it. I guess both would do the job equivalently, and that googling will give me instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Could you cut out a few frames at the join without it being obvious?
    Thank you, AlanHK!

That's a good plan B; I think first I'll try fixing the audio in an audio editor, since it isn't an ideal spot to lose any frames.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Baldrick!

I did try VirtualDub first, but that failed as detailed here. Oh well, it's not extremely bad, but I hate to make public something imperfect.
    This is why you shouldn't create a new similar thread...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please delete.
    Last edited by coyote2; 8th Oct 2011 at 22:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Baldrick!

This is why you shouldn't create a new similar thread...
    I apologize; it seemed like a different issue to me, I didn't realize I was wrong in thinking I should create a new thread. Sorry!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, davexnet, I like that!

Because while I'm a video noob, I'm very experienced with audio editors. Now I just need to learn how to get the sound off and later back onto the avi, after deciding whether to use Avidemux or VirtualDub to do it. I guess both would do the job equivalently, and that googling will give me instructions.
    Is there another option for pulling the audio off, than as a WAV file?
    (I see how to do that here, and that would make my life easy since every audio editor I already use processes WAV files, but...)

I'm concerned because re-encoding the audio compression after I fix the WAV, would be lossy. And I feel responsible to viewers to try to avoid another lossy audio encoding of the sound for the whole film (just so I can fix the noise where I joined the files).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's only lossy if you recompress the audio again (to mp3 for example).
    Edit the audio and save as PCM/WAV. Remux that into the AVI as-is.

Of course the file will be bigger, but that may/may not be an issue.
    PS you haven't stated what format the audio is in originally - mp3 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there another option for pulling the audio off, than as a WAV file?
    (I see how to do that here, and that would make my life easy since every audio editor I already use processes WAV files, but...)
    Yes, demux the AVI. You can do that in Avidemux (note the program's name....) just do Audio/save.

So if the audio is MP3, you will get MP3.
    You can edit that losslessly in MP3DirectCut -- you can select a section and make it silent if there is a click, and then mux the new MP3 with the video.

But if the audio isn't MP3, you pretty much have to decode it to wave to do anything with it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's only lossy if you recompress the audio again (to mp3 for example).
    Edit the audio and save as PCM/WAV. Remux that into the AVI as-is.
    Thank you very much, davexnet!

Of course the file will be bigger, but that may/may not be an issue. PS you haven't stated what format the audio is in originally - mp3 ?
    Yes, it is mp3 (specifically MPEG-1 Layer 3).

Yes, demux the AVI. You can do that in Avidemux (note the program's name....) just do Audio/save.

So if the audio is MP3, you will get MP3.
    You can edit that losslessly in MP3DirectCut -- you can select a section and make it silent if there is a click, and then mux the new MP3 with the video.

But if the audio isn't MP3, you pretty much have to decode it to wave to do anything with it.
    Thank you very much, AlanHK!

I think I'll first try demuxing the audio out as mp3 and editing in MP3DirectCut. Plan B, I'll remux back in as PCM/WAV.

And thanks to both davexnet and AlanHK for using the "mux" words in sentences; I never understood what demux/remux meant until now, which I found very intimidating. I feel a bit less of a video-noob now!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And thanks to both davexnet and AlanHK for using the "mux" words in sentences; I never understood what demux/remux meant until now, which I found very intimidating. I feel a bit less of a video-noob now!
    They're actually abbreviations for "multiplex" -- to weave together several streams into one (or one file) and de-multiplex, to extract the original streams to separate files. "Re-mux" is demux, and then mux back; presumably after editing, or to put the same streams in a different container -- eg, AVI, MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp3DirectCut worked great for me yesterday.

Today, even though like yesterdayI'm making my selection according to directions in manuals here and here, my processing (Gain = "silence") is being applied not just to the selection, but to the whole file. This happened to me once yesterday by mistake somehow; but today I can't figure out how NOT to do it, and it's driving me crazy.

Can anyone please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

(I read---somewhere--how to avoid whatever it is I'm doing wrong, but now I can"t find it.)
    Last edited by coyote2; 12th Oct 2011 at 20:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just select and then Edit/Gain, choose "silent" and just the selection is silent.
    Just tried it and no problem.

I admit I don't really understand its "edit points" or the way it makes cue lists of selections (which I guess is your problem), it may be powerful but I find it very unintuitive. I just do trims, cut and paste edits and adjust gain.

If things get wacky I just abandon without saving and reopen the file.

There is an MP3DirectCut forum at http://www.mpex.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
    Last edited by AlanHK; 13th Oct 2011 at 00:23.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just select and then Edit/Gain, choose "silent" and just the selection is silent.
    Just tried it and no problem.

I admit I don't really understand its "edit points" or the way it makes cue lists of selections (which I guess is your problem), it may be powerful but I find it very unintuitive. I just do trims, cut and paste edits and adjust gain.

If things get wacky I just abandon without saving and reopen the file.

There is an MP3DirectCut forum at http://www.mpex.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
    I finally stumbled upon an answer. It seems that the issue occurs only when I select a region less than 5 or 6 frames wide.

Which is fine, I can expand my selection to 6 frames in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One (I think last) question. When I remuxed the edited audio, VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 gave me a warning because it thought it ("appears to contain a MP3 VBR stream") VBR.

I think because while the audio for both sections (which I joined) was CBR (MPEG-1 Layer 3 48000 Hz Joint Stereo), one file's audio was 128kbps and the other file's audio was 160 kbps.

Avidemux didn't mind when I did the join. And the joined file plays perfectly on all my players and boxes. But I wonder, will the .avi have less compatability since I didn't recode one file's audio bitrate to match the other?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualDubMod.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	9128

You can click to view, or read here, the rest of the VirtualDubMod message: "The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 33256 ms of skew from the AVI video stream. If this is unacceptable, (re)compress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate 129.3 +-6.2kbps) Do you still want to rewrite the header? (only matters when saving to AVI)?" Then I clicked "No" and saved the .avi
    Last edited by coyote2; 13th Oct 2011 at 20:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your new file is VBR by construction.
    MP3DirectCut makes correct MP3 files, so that should be fine.

One (I think last) question. When I remuxed the edited audio, VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 gave me a warning because it thought it ("appears to contain a MP3 VBR stream") VBR.

I think you will get that message with any VBR MP3, as the old version of VDub isn't really happy with it. But it should work regardless. Don't let it rewrite the header.

If it doesn't play in sync, try to mux the new audio in with Avidemux.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 13th Oct 2011 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your new file is VBR by construction.
    I think MP3DirectCut is makes correct MP3 files, so you should be fine.

I think you will get that message with any VBR MP3, as the old version of VDub isn't really happy with it. But it should work regardless.

If it doesn't play in sync, try to mux the new audio in with Avidemux.
    Thank you AlanHK. The audio synch is perfect.

I guess since you didn't say otherwise, I shouldn't worry that the .avi will have compatibility issues on some playback devices because I didn't recode one file's audio bitrate to match the other before joining.
    Quote Quote