VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    hello im new to all this 3d hd stuff and need some help. here is my situation.I have some 3d and hd movies on my computer in mkv format and would like to watch them on my 3d lg 50pz550 tv. I have tried using a wd my book essentals 1.5 tb hard drive and pluging it into the tv usb port but some of the movies are constatnaly pixelating or the sound wont keep up with the video. (im guessing the 2.0 usb connection is to slow right?)

    next i tried using the ps3 media server but this way the movies just kept stuttering. some much worse than others.I have a quad core computer with i think 2 gigs of memory (im guessing the verizon fios 25mbs internet capabilities i have are not enough right?)

    PS these movies play fine on my computer

    so my question is what is the best way to play these movies on my tv? if i buy any other HD that has a usb port will i get the same results? do they make HD drives with hdmi output and would that be better? what is my best option?

    please help

    thanks
    Last edited by zadam123; 8th Oct 2011 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: California,United States
    Search Comp PM
    Has nothing to do with the USB 2 output.

    Best way to play them is with a media player. They have an HDMI to the TV but a USB2 input from the hard disk.

    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2000
    Location: Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    Htpc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    I have some 3d and hd movies on my computer in mkv format and would like to watch them on my 3d lg 50pz550 tv. I have tried using a wd my book essentals 1.5 tb hard drive and pluging it into the tv usb port but some of the movies are constatnaly pixelating or the sound wont keep up with the video. (im guessing the 2.0 usb connection is to slow right?)
    No. USB has a real world throughput of around 240 Mb/s. Blu-ray rips max out around 50 Mb/s. TVs are very picky about what they will play. In all likelihood the files you are trying to play use h.264 features that the TV can't handle.

    Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    next i tried using the ps3 media server but this way the movies just kept stuttering. some much worse than others.I have a quad core computer with i think 2 gigs of memory (im guessing the verizon fios 25mbs internet capabilities i have are not enough right?)
    No. The speed of your internet connection is unrelated to the speed of your LAN. Are you running a wireless or wired LAN? What speeds? tx1000, tx100, tx10, 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b?
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Oct 2011 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    I've never heard of any TV that supports 3D playback via USB. I mean the kind of stuff you've got in MKV format, not the old school anaglyph.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I've never heard of any TV that supports 3D playback via USB. I mean the kind of stuff you've got in MKV format, not the old school anaglyph.
    no side by side video. also i am using wireless through the ps3 not wired and i am using the verizon router that came with my internet and cable ( the stats online says it can hold 100mbs and the internet plan i have with verizon is 25 mbs) if i run a speed test on my phone using the wifi i get around 15 mbps.

    as far as media players are they the same a HD , meaning hook up to cpu through usb DL vidoes on it and then streight plug it into the tv using hdmi? if so what are some names of good ones?

    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. 15 Mb/s is typical of 802.11g. Though it's not clear what the test with your phone means. Is it accessing a local source? Some speed test site on the internet? The former would give your wireless LAN speed (for the phone), the latter your LAN or internet speed (again, for the phone), whichever is less. A lot of HD material needs more than 16 Mb/s. You can examine your files with Bitrate Viewer to see what kind of bitrates peaks they have.

    Media players like the Western Digital WDTV series or the Seagate Free Agent Theater connect to an external USB drive, your wired or wireless LAN, and to your TV via HDMI or component cable for HD output. They can play HD videos from a local USB drive, network shares, Netflix, Amazon VOD, Youtube, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    15 Mb/s is typical of 802.11g. Though it's not clear what the test with your phone means. Is it accessing a local source? Some speed test site on the internet? The former would give your wireless LAN speed (for the phone), the latter your LAN or internet speed (again, for the phone), whichever is less. A lot of HD material needs more than 16 Mb/s. You can examine your files with Bitrate Viewer to see what kind of bitrates peaks they have.

    Media players like the Western Digital WDTV series or the Seagate Free Agent Theater connect to an external USB drive, your wired or wireless LAN, and to your TV via HDMI or component cable for HD output. They can play HD videos from a local USB drive, network shares, Netflix, Amazon VOD, Youtube, etc.
    so if i got one of those it would be connected to my computer as external and read either wired or wireless then pluged into my ps3? if so whats the diffrence between that and the ps3 media center? isnt that the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    so if i got one of those it would be connected to my computer as external and read either wired or wireless then pluged into my ps3?
    No, the PS3 has nothing to do with it.

    Network -> Media player -> HDTV
    USB drive -> Media player -> HDTV

    Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    if so whats the diffrence between that and the ps3 media center? isnt that the same thing?
    The PS3 requires a DLNA server running on the PC in order to play a variety of formats. It's very picky about what files it will play natively (ie, from a USB drive). The standalone media players play a much wider array of containers and codecs.

    A site with reviews of dozens (hundreds?) of different media players:
    http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads