VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering which file format requires the least encoding time to convert from an flv....I am encoding with super

for example if a video is already in mpeg2 format and you burn it to a DVD, the encoding process takes way less time than say if you had an avi or mp4 file....

so that's kinda my question....I just don't know the different file formats well enough....I was thinking avi or mp4 but I am not sure it could be mpg, mov, wmv etc etc. I don't need it done in like 20 minutes or anything just trying to avoid a 3 hour conversion when I could maybe have it done in 1 hour if I had chosen a different output format. I am also interested in what is the format and encoder choice that would be least likely to cause a/v sync issues.

**also just a little side question, in a program like super, if you convert a video file to avi and use the divx option for xvid for output codec, does the conversion take longer b/c it has to compress it more. (I think by default super has the mp4 video codec selected when you choose the .avi output container)

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpg1 or remux to another container with avidemux, mymp4boxgui.

But I have no idea what you are trying to do here...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, what is your goal ?

"burn to a dvd" meaning play on a DVD player (no re-encoding necessary from MPEG2 because that's what DVD needs, or backup for playing later on a PC in which case just burn the original ?

You seem to have mixed up the use of containers like mp4, avi, etc with the use of codecs like divx, xvid, mpeg2/mpeg4-avc etc... some googling (wiki) on your part might be a good thing. Each has their role. Modern like .mp4 and .mkv vs old legacy like .avi (which has it's own problems like with b-frames).

Please, do some wiki-ing and state what your goal really is (ie what you want to do with the result, not how long you want to take to get the result).
    Quote Quote