VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MediaInfo to check video files properties but don't see if any of the video files are constant/average bitrate. Is there a way to tell? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if there is an absolute way to tell. You could use the bitrate viewer, from the tools section at this site.
    If there is a big swing in the graph, it's probably 2-pass.
    Here are two images. I encoded them both at 780 kbps, 1-pass and 2-pass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-pass.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	9032Click image for larger version

Name:	2-pass.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	9031
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some videos in MediaInfo show whether they are constant or variable bitrate while others don't, I assume that this is due to variance between encoders as to whether they put this information in the video header or not.

As far as I'm aware, all video encoders regard constant bitrate as an aim but not a true limit, thus they never actually give a constant bitrate but rather minimise variation as much as possible.

In davexnet's 1-pass video you can see that it hovers around the same mark while davexnet's 2-pass example shows the rises and falls in a variable bitrate video where the aim is for it to have an average bitrate across the whole video.

To my knowledge, a single pass video may be either constant or variable bitrate, however a two pass encode attempts to further adapt the bitrate to the video content which increases the variance in bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the info
    Quote Quote