VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I never thought I'd be asking this. I can usually fix or work around problem video files but everything I've tried with this dog gone avi nets me 11 seconds of video out of 1.5+ hours of video. I've tried everything that looked like it could be useful from the video repair tools section here.

Any suggestions? I though Freemake might work as it opened the video and showed the proper length before erroring out on the conversion.

Thanks for any suggestions
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work any player like vlc, mplayer, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. nope, not working anywhere. after repairs 11 seconds will play.

I'm pretty sure something said divx or xvid. Virtualdubmod said rebuilding and took way over an hour and yielded 11 seconds of video.

Any suggestions on a way to cut out the possibly corrupt part and use the rest?
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try opening the file in VirtualDub and selecting Video -> Scan Video Stream For Errors. Can you scrub through the full video after that? Select Video -> Direct Stream Copy, then File -> Save as AVI. How's the new AVI file?

And you did try running DivFix, right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'll have to try that tonight. It takes a while to open it since it wants to rebuild the index.

I did try divfix and divfixx++. I'll have to see what format it is exactly if I can even pull that information up from it. I changed things over the years since I started with VCDs back in 2003.

It is definitely and AVI , but whats the actual codec is in there I do not recall.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Since you're being mysterious about the source of this file, I can guess how you got it. It might be worth mentioning that files available as torrents can get corrupted, sometimes beyond repair. You could always re-encode it to MPEG-2 with HCEnc using an AviSynth script and while that won't fix any issues, it might encode the video further than what you've gotten so far. It would be quick enough to give it a shot and see.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You would be guessing wrong as I do not, nor have I ever used torrents. I spend to much time here at work cleaning up infected computers some of which got it from torrents or warez sites.

I wasn't trying to be mysterious. I have been doing my own encodes off of satellite and OTA and my VHS collection going back to VCD, then SVCD, AVI and DVD format with some excursions into WMV. Playing them on Various Philips DVD players and lately Western Digital media players. This file should be Divx or xvid. It came off of one of the cheap CDs I had used before I knew better. I now use Verbatim for CD, DVD, DVD-DL and BluRay. This disc appeared to read Ok, OTOH some from the same era have lost their content. If it read Ok it shouldn't be corrupt. I can only assume that it was bad when I burned it not tested.

I tried opening it various encoders and TMPGenc says no video stream, Freemake showed proper resolution and length and then errored out at encode to mkv time. and so forth.

I did have a epiphany this morning and I just checked YouTube and there it is in 480P so I'll go that way most likely and keep working with the troublesome file as a learning experience.

Thanks for your reply
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Often slightly damaged video files can be fixed in either VirtualDub or Avidemux.

In VD, set video and audio to "direct stream copy" and save to a new AVI.
    In Avidemux, Tools/Rebuild I& B frames, then audio and video set to "copy" and save to a new AVI.

Sometimes will open in one and not the other. Whichever worked, I then save in the other as well.
    That seems to build all the indices correctly and give a good file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try opening it with VD's Hex editor, though you will probably only see the 11 seconds. But it might give you some clues towards the end of the 11 seconds. Usually just a bunch of numbers, but interesting if you've never used it before. If you see lots of zeros, not good.
    Quote Quote