VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm seeking a Video editor recommendation, please. I've never edited video (I'm very experienced with audio editors).

I (think I) need to load two video files simultaneously, to compare them somehow side-by-side, because both are incomplete.

The better-quality file starts with a couple minutes not present on the other file's beginning. But someplace(s) in the body of the lesser-quality file, is 4 minutes missing from the better-quality file.

When I face this with an audio project, I load both into a multitrack editor (Cool Edit or Audacity or Audition), and it's pretty easy to visually line up the WAV patterns and find missing chunks, and patch them. I hope to do something like that to find what part(s) of the better quality file I need to patch with the lesser-quality file.

I'm equally interested in (as a video newbie) usability and (as my budget is tight) a cost-conscious choice.

What editor would I want to use?

(One file is a .avi and the other is a .mp4.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To clarify: any recommendations for a video editor? I want load two video files simultaneously, and compare them, to find out where to patch them (both are incomplete) together. (In audio editing, this would be called a multitrack editor.)

I want to work with files like .avi and .mp4. (It would be a nice bonus if it also handles .mkv files.) I'd love to avoid recoding when possible. I'd love it to be user-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What file format are the video files? Your heading ISO video editor is not a video format but a container for normal DVD format ie VIDEO_TS folder + AUDIO_TS (that normally contains nothing). You can use WInRAR to extract the VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB, IFO and BUP files. The VOB files contain the audio and video.

SONY Vegas is probably the best but there are numerous other editors.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    What file format are the video files?Your heading ISO video editor is not a video format but a container for normal DVD format ie VIDEO_TS folder + AUDIO_TS (that normally contains nothing).
    Oops, I meant ISO = "In search of" ! (Sorry, I didn't think of the ambiguity with the .iso image file.)

As I noted, I need to work with .avi and .mp4 files (it would be a nice bonus if it also handles .mkv files).

You can use WInRAR to extract the VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB, IFO and BUP files. The VOB files contain the audio and video.

SONY Vegas is probably the best but there are numerous other editors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There aren't any sophisticated editors for AVI (Divx or Xvid) MP4 or MKV as they are all compressed formats and frame accuracy is not possible as it is with MPEG2 or uncompressed AVI's. Plenty of programs to do simple top and tail editing but nothing that will do what you describe aka CoolEdit or Audition etc.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote