VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hello all.

Ok so you know how most movies that are widescreen, have the black spaces above and below the video part.

Well was hoping to cut out some of the top part of the black space to move the video up. This way the black space below the video will now be bigger. (Not sure If you have to cut the black space, or just simply somehow move it up)

I want to do this becuase I want to add subtitles with a really large font on the botton of the video (for my Dad who has a tough time reading) so the font does not cover any part of the video. The subs are hardcoded when I convert the AVI to DVD. (This is the only way I can add the subs since my Dad has no idea how to turn on subs - he is really technology illiterate. So I hope your solution keeps this in mind - meaning I guess the widths of the black spaces on the AVI need to be permanently changed, rather than a solution through menu options in a DVD player. Thanks)

So thats why i was hoping to somehow decrease the top black space above the video, and increase the bottom black space below the video, so my subtitles with large font can easily fit in the black space below the video and not interfere in the video.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help

PS the videos are in AVI format. Thanks again

I also just saw a thread after I already posted this by jagobo right before this thread, it seems so similiar, what a coincidence, but I read through the thread, and my question seems to require a different solution,
    Last edited by Dogpoundz; 30th Sep 2011 at 02:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, it's not hard at all, but it depends on your process.

Originally Posted by Dogpoundz View Post
    The subs are hardcoded when I convert the AVI to DVD.
    Exactly how do you do that?
    Are you making a standard DVD, or a data DVD with AVI files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Actually, it's not hard at all, but it depends on your process.

Originally Posted by Dogpoundz View Post
    The subs are hardcoded when I convert the AVI to DVD.
    Exactly how do you do that?
    Are you making a standard DVD, or a data DVD with AVI files?

So, I simply use WinAVI to make standard DVD (Video_TS/Audio_TS folders). I add the AVI with the subs in the same folder with the same names. then I go into the advances options and change the font size of the subs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I don't use WinAVI, but someone who does may be able to help.

Presumably it has filters for cropping etc that can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dogpoundz: Please don't hijack other threads with your question. I removed that post.

Use something better like virtualdub or avidemux and you cut and can add a custom black border.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Dogpoundz: Please don't hijack other threads with your question. I removed that post.

Use something better like virtualdub or avidemux and you cut and can add a custom black border.

yeah sorry about that, I wasnt sure if i should post my question in there

Ok So I use Virtualdub, but not sure how to cut and add custom black border?

Would that require doing full processing mode? and then compression with codecs? because i do not think I would be able to do that, i am a novice, unless u dont mind guiding me
    Last edited by Dogpoundz; 30th Sep 2011 at 22:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So, I looked into WinAVI's advanced options and found this:
    Any you guys got any ideas on what I should change?
    (sorry for 2 pictures, for some reason i cannot delete)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	winavi.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	8940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	winavi 2.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	8941  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would guess "crop" at the top.

But, I don't know if the windowboxing is part of your original AVI file, or if it's added automatically by WinAVI to centre it.
    If the latter, it seems you can't do it in WinAVI.
    Unless perhaps it accepts Avisynth input.

But wait and see if any WinAVI gurus can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I would guess "crop" at the top.

But, I don't know if the windowboxing is part of your original AVI file, or if it's added automatically by WinAVI to centre it.
    If the latter, it seems you can't do it in WinAVI.
    Unless perhaps it accepts Avisynth input.

But wait and see if any WinAVI gurus can help.

thanks friend,

so yeah, i tried the cropping, the black boxes do not disappear, rather it zoomed in on the top part of the video,

im guessing my best route is the VirtualDub, i guess ill wait to here from experts on that,

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since there were allot of posts by me, i hope no one has gotten confused by the status of the question.

So pretty much, I am waiting to see if anyone can guide me through using VirtualDub to shift the video up (decrease the top black space above the video, this increasing the bottom black space below the video)

If there is an easier program than virtualdub, whatever u guys know best i guess

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's trivial in AviSynth. Use Crop() to remove the borders, then AddBorders() to add borders in any configuration you want. For example, a 2.35:1 movie in a 1920x1080 frame has about an 1920x816 image with 132 pixel wide borders top and bottom. Use the following script:

Crop(0, 132, -0, -132) #remove black borders at top and bottom
    AddBorders(0, 64, 0, 200) #add new black borders, 64 at the top, 200 at the bottom

The net effect is to shift the picture up, leaving about 1/4 of the black border at the top, 3/4 at the bottom.

VirtualDub will allow you to crop borders any way you want. But it's automatic letterboxing adds equal borders top and bottom. What you could do is crop away the top border but leave some of the bottom border. Then use the letterboxing option to add black borders to the top and bottom. But since you left a little border at the bottom of the picture there's now more border at the bottom than the top. The problem is that the black borders may not match. The border that was in the original video may not have been perfectly black. That often happens with VHS caps, for example. You can work around that by using the Fill filter to create a black box over the non-black portion of the border.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Oct 2011 at 23:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is also a filter for virtualdub called ShiftWrap (google it). It's very intuitive. It would work for your needs. Example... scroll up 20 lines and it adds the 20 lines to the bottom.

http://www.geocities.com/siwalters_uk/wrap.html

This is a more current version but I haven't used it or downloaded it from this location

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/ShiftWrap.shtml

D/l the filter and copy it to the plugins dir in vdub. Start vdub, Open your video file. Under "Video" Set Full processing mode to on and select the compression format as you wish. Also under "Video" select "Filters". Select "Add" and choose the "ShiftWrap" filter by double clicking on it. A window will open with a preview of your video. If the frame is not the best, slide the timeline to an appropriate area of the video to get a good picture. For your situation uncheck "Shift Only (wrap disabled" then click the Yshift up as many lines as you want to shift up. Notice the top wraps to the bottom. For you they should all be black lines unless you go too far and start to wrap the visible picture area.. Click "ok" to close the preview and configure panel. Click "ok" to close the filter window. Go to File "Save as Avi" and save your output.
    Last edited by gll99; 3rd Oct 2011 at 02:35.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote