VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, Folks. I am using a Windows-based machine, and I need to find a video software company that is U.S. based that makes and SUPPORTS (via live phone support) video conversion software. Can anyone make a recommendation to me? I need U.S.-based support, and do not want to talk to India or the Philippines.

I have five weeks to put together a major video presentation, and email support does not work for me (I've tried).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to be more specific: convert from exactly what, into what?
    What is your target product (DVD? Blueray? Flash....)

And do you have to edit it at all?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, there was another post I put up here about same issue.

I am ripping commercial movies using DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink, then converting them to AVI or WMV. Yes, I am editing and splices these into scenes. I already own Adobe Premiere Elements, but it is much too complex for me with a long learning curve. I need something simple, clean, and stupid.

Last year, I converted using AVS Video Converter and then assembled using Windows Movie Maker. All the pros think the Windows product sucks, but it is SIMPLE and EASY, and it works for my purposes. I am not Martin Scorcese.

I am having a glitch with AVS right now, and they have no phone support. They are in England and average response time is THREE DAYS.

Appreciate your response. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Always do your edits BEFORE you convert. Rip your DVDs....Use VOB2MPEG (free) to convert the DVD to one, big MPEG2 file(DVD is MPEG2), do your edits (plenty of free MPEG cutters around).
    Quote Quote  
  5. You will not find inexpensive video software with good (free) phone support. Phone support costs money and that's the last thing any company that sells inexpensive software wants.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
    Sorry, there was another post I put up here about same issue.

I am ripping commercial movies using DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink, then converting them to AVI or WMV.
    Really have my doubts as to whether trying to help you is a smart move on our part, as I will elaborate shortly.

Hollywood contends that you do NOT have the right to do this. However, they are unwilling to take individuals to court over this because they MIGHT lose and set a precedent.

If you really know what you are doing you don't need support. And I have my doubts that your purposes are for anything that any company is going to want to support given that what you are doing is at best a gray area. And what the heck is so complicated that you think you need support any way? Are you one of those people who is trying to make "clean" versions of movies? We've had endless discussions on that subject and the general opinion around here is that if you have to edit it to avoid offensive parts, you probably shouldn't be watching the film to begin with. And do note that a US court ruled that such actions are illegal when Hollywood sued a company that tried to put out "clean" versions of films. This whole thing sounds really fishy to me as if you were just some enthusiast trying to put together a complete version of film X taken from different releases around the world or trying to edit some long, crappy film down to a watchable length for your own enjoyment (ie. anything directed by that hack Terrence Malick) then I doubt that you'd be all concerned about phone support. This is either some hobby gone monstrously awry in that you don't know when to stop or you've got some nefarious purpose that shouldn't be supported. If this is all that critical to you then learn to use a complicated tool like Vegas or something more expensive instead of trying to do it for peanuts and get tons of free telephone hand holding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sorry, there was another post I put up here about same issue.

I am ripping commercial movies using DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink, then converting them to AVI or WMV.
    Really have my doubts as to whether trying to help you is a smart move on our part, as I will elaborate shortly.

Hollywood contends that you do NOT have the right to do this. However, they are unwilling to take individuals to court over this because they MIGHT lose and set a precedent.

If you really know what you are doing you don't need support. And I have my doubts that your purposes are for anything that any company is going to want to support given that what you are doing is at best a gray area. And what the heck is so complicated that you think you need support any way? Are you one of those people who is trying to make "clean" versions of movies? We've had endless discussions on that subject and the general opinion around here is that if you have to edit it to avoid offensive parts, you probably shouldn't be watching the film to begin with. And do note that a US court ruled that such actions are illegal when Hollywood sued a company that tried to put out "clean" versions of films. This whole thing sounds really fishy to me as if you were just some enthusiast trying to put together a complete version of film X taken from different releases around the world or trying to edit some long, crappy film down to a watchable length for your own enjoyment (ie. anything directed by that hack Terrence Malick) then I doubt that you'd be all concerned about phone support. This is either some hobby gone monstrously awry in that you don't know when to stop or you've got some nefarious purpose that shouldn't be supported. If this is all that critical to you then learn to use a complicated tool like Vegas or something more expensive instead of trying to do it for peanuts and get tons of free telephone hand holding.
    Wow, that's not the assumption that popped into my head at all. Most likely, the guy has a school project and, hence, has a limited budget and limited time to put together a decent presentation. Even back in the old VHS days, there were a couple of times where I had to find a way around copy protection to put together some school projects that were well within legal guidelines.

I just wish I had an answer. Unfortunately, jagabo is correct. Support is VERY expensive. That's why professional software costs so much more than run of the mill commercial. You're better off explaining the problem to us (or other board) in more detail and hoping someone's got some ideas to help out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hey jman98, you might want to calm down a little...

I'm pretty sure the OP is a Professor at a University doing this as an educational example in a classroom setting, and, as long as the percentage of footage from any particular title doesn't go over a certain amount (IIRC, I think it's 5-10%), the OP is FULLY PROTECTED AND ALLOWED under US law to copy & use such material for those purposes. Heck, this puts FAIR USE to shame! (Other fully protected uses include satire & political commentary)

The problem, of course, lies with DCMA, which never took into account the possibility that there might be VALID reasons for bypassing encryption.

AFA the OP's original request, I think you get what you pay for. Cheap software - cheap support, Expensive/Hefty software - hefty support.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. jman98:

To be honest, I really appreciate your integrity and honesty. I, also, hate people who copy and sell ANY copyrighted materials, whether books, CDs or videos. Being a writer myself, my personal code of ethics would never allow me to cross that line.

I am an English professor at a community college in Southern Calif. In early November, I am doing a three-hour presentation on the career of Woody Allen; I actually got the thing approved! This falls under the chancellor's office guideline in Sacramento for professional development hours. To accomplish this, I will probably be watching about 15 of his movies, ripping them to remove protection, then reassembling mostly short scenes to put all on one disk. I HATE when people jumble DVD's between clips, so I am assembling this and putting everything on one single CD. I did this last year for five different presenters for a Shakespeare presentation and turned out a beautiful video, but in the process ruined my eight-week winter vacation, since I am an ENGLISH prof, not a techie, clearly out of my element, and have a very slow and painful learning curve.

Again, I would NEVER rip something and sell it. This is a one-off faculty presentation for which I am preparing the video. I am TRYING to stay with the same programs I used last year -- DVD Decrypter and AVS Video Converter -- because I only have five weeks left, am unexperienced and panicked, and almost don't have the time to learn something new. For some reason, I am having some minor tech glitches right now with these same programs.

I hope I sound like an English prof; otherwise, my students are gonna be really pissed that I'm giving them C's and D's on their papers.

How
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi, All. I hope my last post established who I am.

Here is the tech glitch, if I haven't explained it already. I am ripping movies and removing protection with DVD Decrypter. When I then go into AVS Video Converter to convert these files to AVI, the AVS program cannot "see" the VOB files that I know are on the HD. I cannot find a way to load them into AVS Video Converter, therefore I cannot convert them.

I know it's stupid and lame, but I use Windows Movie Maker to assemble the clips into a movie. Why? It produces really cool titles, and it's easy and stupid and simple! Finally, I take the completed project and burn it using Adobe Premiere Elements. That program is far too complex and far more powerful than I need. I tried it for other things, and the process was painfully slow and time-consuming. For ME. Cuz I'm an English prof, NOT a techie.

So there is my situation. I cannot afford to pay for support, and I'm just stupid enough technically to be dangerous.

Can anyone tell my why I can't see those VOB video files when I go into AVS Video Converter?

Thanks much everyone for your patience and understanding in here. I produced a really cool Shakespeare video last year that everyone loved, and will do the same for Woody Allen. But Geez, my learning curve is SO SLOW.

CharmedLife417
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, Professor, you have a couple of options. I don't think either one offers phone support, but there are tons of online tutorials and guides to keep the learning curve to a minimum. You may need to take an hour or two to study the online help info, but it is nothing that would demand more of you than you would demand of your students.

I see that you have the first step, ripping, done.

Once you get the movies on your hard drive, you can edit the clips and spit the finished product out on your own DVD using Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD. It is trialware and if this is a one-time project, you could probably make use of it before the free trial period ends.

Your other option is to use the old freeware, DVD Shrink, in the reauthor mode. It is also very effective once you get the hang of it.

I'm getting a kick out of seeing how well a college professor learns something new. The shoe is on the other foot now, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Film Boss:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, the shoe is definitely on the other foot. We'll see if I deserve my tenure!

This looks like a good program. The free trial period is 30 days, so I'm going to wait about another week or so to do that, since my presentation is on Nov 5th. That way, if it works for me, I can use it right up till the last minute.

However, the other package worked great for me last time. Is that any way of understanding and fixing why I can't see those VOB files once I'm inside the converter? It worked great last year, and this would save my learning curve time.

Anyway, thanks very much for taking the time to post back to me. This is challenging for me, but also exciting. I'm a determined cuss, and will get it done.

Thanks,
    CharmedLife
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that any way of understanding and fixing why I can't see those VOB files once I'm inside the converter? It worked great last year, and this would save my learning curve time.
    I am not sure, as I do not use that particular converter. However, there is one possibility you should consider. Your ripping tool, DVD Decrypter, has not been updated for several years; thus, you may be having issues with newer forms of copy protection. Try ripping again with DVDFab HD Decrypter. (When you load it, make sure you just select the free ripping feature, if you don't want all the other tools--although the other tools are handy and are well worth the small price.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Can you see the VOB files with Explorer? Did you try what I recommended in you other thread? Or try using the Files Of Type pulldown in the File Open dialog and selecting *.*.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Film Boss:

Thanks, yes, that could be the case. I'll try the free version of this other tool you recommended, and perhaps buy it if it does the trick for me. Somebody else also suggested that this could be due to newer versions of protection, which makes sense to me.

I also tried DVD Shrink for ripping, which worked pretty good, except it produced a small A-V sync problem that I didn't have with DVD Decrypter.

Thanks Again,
    Charmed Life
    Quote Quote  
  16. jagabo:

Yes, I can see the VOB files in Explorer. In fact, I can directly click on and PLAY the files and both video and audio work just fine, so I know for a fact they are on the HD.

I believe your previous post said to look for file type in the converter in addition to filename. I've searched high and low, and as far as I can tell within that particular program, AVS Video Converter only designates filename, not type, for both input and output.

While I have your attention, do you know of a company that makes a video converter that at least offers decent EMAIL SUPPORT. That might work for me, if they get can back to you within about 24 hours. I'd pay for that. This AVS thing, it has been FIVE DAYS since I sent them a tech question.

Thanks!
    CL
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't tell you what is wrong, but if AVS Video Converter is now broken in some way, have you tried re-installing it? Use the "Repair" option if the installer offers it. If that doesn't work, try the free version of VOB2MPG that hech34 suggested. VOB2MPG joins all the VOBs for the movie, and re-packages them into one .mpg file. It does this without changing the video or audio in any way, and is very fast. Maybe AVS Video Converter will see the .mpg.

filmboss80 is trying to do you a favor by suggesting a way to eliminate two steps from your process, which would both save you some time and produce a better end product. Converting each movie from DVD to AVI for editing takes time. Converting back to DVD compliant video and audio also takes time. Not only do conversions take time, but each conversion produces an end product that is slightly poorer quality than the original.

MPEG Video Wizard DVD can import and edit the video from VOB files, and has a timeline for assembling clips. It has the ability to add titles to your video using the "Title Editor", as well as creating transitions, though I have never used those features. It can create and burn a DVD if you wish, or you can export .mpg files to use with Premiere Elements. It will take time to learn, but will make up for that by saving you time in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you can live with simple cut/paste editing on key frames (at least for portions of the videos) you can use the free mpg2cut2. It can open a sequence of VOB files and output MPG clips.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Point taken although I still don't get why I had to browbeat the guy to get him to admit what he was doing instead of being all mysterious and "bootleggy" about it. This not really the kind of task that an inexperienced professor can do in a short time. We all had to work our way up to doing stuff like that. Perhaps the reality is that if needs to be done quickly that he's going to have to pay someone to do it for him.

However, if you research the legal cases on "fair use" you will see that the courts have actually never defined a percentage that fits and have decided that it's much better for all concerned that it be nebulous so that the courts can rule on a case by case basis as to what is and is not fair use. While I would say that PROBABLY the use described would indeed be OK, it would be foolish to suggest that with 100% absolute certainty it is. The fact that this is part of a class means that it is highly unlikely that any studios would find it worthwhile to sue, but your idea that there is some law with specifics or a court defined percentage or number at which if you stay below you're fine and if you go beyond you're not is just an urban legend.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Point taken although I still don't get why I had to browbeat the guy to get him to admit what he was doing instead of being all mysterious and "bootleggy" about it. This not really the kind of task that an inexperienced professor can do in a short time. We all had to work our way up to doing stuff like that. Perhaps the reality is that if needs to be done quickly that he's going to have to pay someone to do it for him.

However, if you research the legal cases on "fair use" you will see that the courts have actually never defined a percentage that fits and have decided that it's much better for all concerned that it be nebulous so that the courts can rule on a case by case basis as to what is and is not fair use. While I would say that PROBABLY the use described would indeed be OK, it would be foolish to suggest that with 100% absolute certainty it is. The fact that this is part of a class means that it is highly unlikely that any studios would find it worthwhile to sue, but your idea that there is some law with specifics or a court defined percentage or number at which if you stay below you're fine and if you go beyond you're not is just an urban legend.
    When did you browbeat him? Your first post in this thread was a lecture and quite frankly it's really none of your business why. He asked a question. Answer the question or don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am an English professor at a community college in Southern Calif. In early November, I am doing a three-hour presentation on the career of Woody Allen; I actually got the thing approved!

Instead of paying a small fortune for phone support that probably won't be much real help, spend the same (or probably much less) amount of money and find a student who already has the tools and knows how to use them.

I'm sure there are plenty who are willing and able to do that on your campus (or any nearby larger ones if yours is small). Just put up some ads in likely faculty noticeboards.
    Computer science, any course involving video production, any campus movie clubs, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  22. jman98:

I'm sorry group, but I must really call out this gentleman a bit. Everyone in here has been wonderfully helpful and welcoming EXCEPT jman98 who is not only splitting legal hairs, but has simply NOT READ WHAT I WROTE. He is in such a hurry to attack me that he hasn't even read my post.

Correction #1:
    "The fact that this is part of a class..." The presentation is NOT part of a class. This is clearly and simply stated in my post several times above. It is a one-off presentation to faculty, not to students. A one-time presentation. To faculty. Not students. Is this clear, sir? Please kindly read my post before you start attacking me and making assumptions about things I didn't say.

Correction #2:
    "This is not really the kind of task that an inexperienced professor can do in a short time." My post above clearly states that I CAN and DID do this last year for a similar Shakespeare video and turned out a "beautiful video." Why are you saying this video is beyond me and therefore I don't merit help, when I already stated I've done this before and am merely having some minor software issues?

Correction #3:
    "Perhaps the reality is that if needs to be done quickly that he's going to have to pay someone to do it for him." I'm not sure what your definition of "quickly" is. This video is due the beginning of Nov, about six weeks away, which my post above once again clearly states. This is the third time you have misread my post and then criticized me for something I didn't say. Six weeks is a lot of time. I am an inveterate planner. I can do this project in less than a week -- not six weeks -- once I have the proper tools. This is why I reached out to this group WAY AHEAD OF TIME.

I'm sorry, my friends; if you want me to leave the forum, I will. But I won't be abused by someone who doesn't read my post closely, then fabricates and twists what I've said. At least have the decency, sir, to stay on point and respond to what I actually wrote. Even my basic composition students, several levels below English 101, can do that.

I apologize to the rest of the group if I am out line. You have all been greatly helpful and generous to me except for this one poster.

I hope I am allowed to stay.

Thank You,
    CharmedLife417
    Quote Quote  
  23. Alan:

Actually, yes, great thought. I already have that in place if I need it. But last year I was able to do it on my own, and I want to grow and empower myself to learn how to do this. It's challenging for me, but actually also a lot of fun and a great sense of accomplish for me. The video I did last year really wowed them.

Thanks!
    CharmedLife417
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan:

Actually, yes, great thought. I already have that in place if I need it. But last year I was able to do it on my own, and I want to grow and empower myself to learn how to do this. It's challenging for me, but actually also a lot of fun and a great sense of accomplish for me. The video I did last year really wowed them.

Thanks!
    CharmedLife417
    In that case, ask for someone to help you.
    Trying to coach someone over the phone on such a task is incredibly tedious and inefficient. If they're sitting next to you you can get it done in no time.

Trying to get advice in a forum is, as you've seen, easily derailed. The only person's permission you need to join is Baldrick's and you can just ignore any sniping by others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Students generally don't know their ass from their elbow. I would not use a student.

If this is important, I would simply pay a service or freelance video editor to quickly put this together for you. All you'd need to provide are the discs, copious notes (timecodes) for sections that need to be extracted, combined with any interstitial graphics (if needed), and order for re-assembly.

All of the needed software has already been mentioned: DVD Decrypter, Womble MPEG Video Wizard. Optionally, another authoring program. If Decrypter fails to extract, then you'd do a round-about method of ripping with DVD Fab, re-creating an ISO from the ripped files, mounting it with Daemon, and then using DVD Decrypter to extract by IFO (even if now protection-free).

This is the kind of project I could put together in a day.

Some of the other software being mentioned (that I did not mention) is crap that should be avoided. This excludes Premiere, which is a great tool, but may simply be the wrong tool for this task.

As far as legality goes, the exemptions for academia should apply, regardless of decryption.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  26. Maybe VideoReDo TV Suite as long as you request the trial key.
    Also unlike some they have a forum that will also help users on the trial version.
    From their site
    "VideoReDo TVSuite was designed to easily edit MPEG2 video, quickly author and burn a DVD http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    Maybe VideoReDo TV Suite as long as you request the trial key.
    Also unlike some they have a forum that will also help users on the trial version.
    From their site
    "VideoReDo TVSuite was designed to easily edit MPEG2 video, quickly author and burn a DVD http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
    As much as I like VideoReDo TVSuite for editing my TV captures, it doesn't have the ability to add titles and transitions, and the OP wants to be able to add titles and transitions. Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD does include those features.
    Quote Quote  
  28. LordSmurf, thanks, this sounds like a good way for me to go. Does Womble MPEG Video Wizard have email support, and are they quick in responding? I want to keep this simple, using as few programs as possible, and these sound good.

Also, is Womble a freeware program, or must I pay a small fee (which I don't mind)?

Thanks,
    CharmedLife417
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LordSmurf, thanks, this sounds like a good way for me to go. Does Womble MPEG Video Wizard have email support, and are they quick in responding? I want to keep this simple, using as few programs as possible, and these sound good.

Also, is Womble a freeware program, or must I pay a small fee (which I don't mind)?

Thanks,
    CharmedLife417
    This was already recommended to you back in post #11. And as I said back then, "it is trialware and if this is a one-time project, you could probably make use of it before the free trial period ends."

Don't know about phone support. There is so much online help info that you don't need to call anyone. Womble is not Microsoft or Adobe, so I don't know if they are paying lots of people to man phone banks.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Womble MPEG Video Wizard have email support, and are they quick in responding? I want to keep this simple, using as few programs as possible, and these sound good.

Thanks,
    CharmedLife417
    MPEG Video Wizard DVD costs $99, but has a 30 day free trial with full functionality, which could be enough to complete a presentation. If it turns out you are going to be preparing similar kinds of programs in the future, then software that will simplify that process is a good investment.

It has free support via email, and free program updates. There is also a HTML Help file you can download that is the latest version of the user guide. Here is a link to the download page http://www.womble.com/download/index.html

I have never needed to use Womble's support, so I can't tell you what it is like. The help files included with the program were enough for me. As others have said, this is a small software house and providing good support is expensive, so don't expect miracles.
    Quote Quote