VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am using handbrake to convert my DVD's to x264 Video, and AC3 Audio Passthrough into an MKV container. I do this for archival purposes. Now, I just bought a tablet, and it prefers MP4 format and Stereo sound.

Here's the tough part. How can I convert this file to MP4, without recoding the video, and converting the audio to AAC 128bit Stereo.

I have tried AviDemux, and it produces bad results with choppy frame rates. At first I thought it might be B-Frames causing this issue, but when I turn off Pyramidal B-Frames on my MKV encode, it still causes choppy frame rates when converted to MP4. If I encode the video using the same preferences in Handbrake to MP4, I get a perfect result, but I have to take the time to convert the ENTIRE video again.

What am I doing wrong here when it comes to the container format conversion? All I can think of, is that there is a problem with AviDemux.

I have been beating myself over the head with this problem for months, if anyone has a solution, I would love to hear it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try mymp4boxgui or ffmpeg(ffmpeg -i video.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.mp4) or gotsent or rebox.net or mkv/avi to mp4 or mkvboxer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every one of these tools produces bad results. I get audio/video sync problems, or frame rate issues.

I normally don't post on the forums unless I truly cannot find an answer to my problem. This is one time I just have a hard time believing that this cannot be done, or that no one else has tried to do this.

But, apparently the only answer is to reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Every one of these tools produces bad results. I get audio/video sync problems, or frame rate issues.

I normally don't post on the forums unless I truly cannot find an answer to my problem. This is one time I just have a hard time believing that this cannot be done, or that no one else has tried to do this.

But, apparently the only answer is to reencode.
    DeMux with mkvextract or TsMuxer.

You'll probably have to convert the audio to .aac stereo no matter what. That should only take about 5 minutes, though. Probably just use MeGui for that, but make sure to set it for 48Mhz instead of 44.1.

Remux with YAMB or MeGui into an .mp4. You may have audio/video sync issues, just set an audio delay and remux again. I've had files that take 4 or 5 trial runs to get it right, but it'll happen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try Drag Drop Convert GUI v 1.0.0.1
    Just goto "Content" tab and choose MKV content then drop you mkv video to extract zone, after extract pick you video and audio put them into new folder(prevent some mistake), change content to MP4 and drag drop you video file(ex .h264) you just extract into "content to" zone.

Ps. Maybe error from filename sometime, if you got some error try to change filename to simple (ex. song.mkv)
    Quote Quote