VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I've been backing up my dvd collection to iso files using dvd decrypter (I love dvd menus) When I backup some hollywood movies they are too large to fit on dl dvd+r discs. They are sometimes up to 8.3GB! I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if the way they stamped commercial dvds provided a little more space. Anyway, what do you guys do when you have this problem? I'm a big fan of whole dvds. I think that the trailers and commercials take you back to the time period when the dvd was release. So I don't realy want to use dvd shrink to cut out anything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Stamped DVDs are exactly the same size as DVD+R DL discs. DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in many years. The guy who wrote was sued in the USA and offered a deal, which he took, that if he abandoned the program and turned over the source code that he would not face any more legal problems. Given how the 123Studios trial went (look it up if you are curious) when just about everybody expected them to win their court case and instead they were basically sued out of existence, you can understand why he would not want to fight it in US courts.

Some of the new copy protection methods involved writing bad sectors and some can make DVDs appear to be larger than they really are. This is done specifically to try to defeat DVD Decrypter because DVD Decrypter cannot be updated to deal with those methods. So this is why some of your movies seem to be bigger than they are. They really aren't as big as they seem, it's just the newer copy protection makes them look that way. We had a post once where one movie appeared to be something like 100 GB (!!!) in size because of it. Basically you need a newer decryption program and you're going to have to either pay (AnyDVD or DVDFabDecrypter) or use the free version of DVDFabDecrypter. Just note that the free version trails the commercial one by 6 months so it often cannot decrypt brand new releases that have come out since it was last updated. Some of the studios literally change the copy protection method maybe every month or so, so programs like DVDFabDecrypter and AnyDVD have to be constantly updated. There was an attempt by some people to provide a regularly updated free decrypter to replace DVDDecrypter, but they abandoned it because they were spending all their spare time doing updates to it. Nobody but commercial companies is willing to do the updates now that are necessary to stay up to date with the latest copy protection methods.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks I'll give AnyDVD at try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnestan View Post
    Thanks I'll give AnyDVD at try.
    DVDFabDecrypter is free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I second the DVDFabdecrypter vote: I purchased the program and haven't looked back.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    I second the DVDFabdecrypter vote: I purchased the program and haven't looked back.
    You bought DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.... but I tried DVDFabdecrypter for several months before purchasing....DVDFab is my sole ripper.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Simple solution: if you don't want to lose quality or menus buy DVD+R DL.
    Quote Quote