VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi folks thanks for looking at this post.

I have 4 x .mp4 files that I need to join together (preferably without re-encoding, but I will if I have to) and I have tried the following programmes without success.

MP4 Joiner>>>>>>> Ultra Video Joiner>>>>>>>>> StaxRip>>>>>>>>> Yamb>>>>>>>> WinAVI (anything to .mp4)>>>>>>>> Nero>>>>>>>>> Yamb+MP4BOX>>>>>>>>> Avidemux>>>>>>>>>> Allok Video Joiner>>>>>>>>>>>> Super>>>>>>>>>>>>MKVMerge GUI.

I thought this would have been pretty simple to do - but apparently 'nothing' is simple! What I mean by 'without success' is that the files will join no problem and as all source video & audio are identical (audio rate, video frame width & height) - I get full audio and video in the resulting file.

The problem is - although there are no artifacts in the source material and I have edited and cut to ensure seemless joins, each program somehow duplicates a frame or two at each point of joining and as such - not only do I get a huge amount of picture distortion (saturation levels go mental and you can't see anything) but the resulting audio is completely out of sync for the remainder/duration of the video?

Anyone got any ideas who I would possibly join these files (re-encoding or otherwise) to avoide these issues? I thought Yamb would have worked easily, but somehow it only gives me the 1st file out of 4 when complete? Best so far has been Avidemux, but everything is still way out of sync. Obviously VirtualDub was my first 'go to', but is doesn't support .

Appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It has never been simple to join video "perfect" and newer formats are even harder to join because of for example variable bitrate and variable framerate. And that many editors aren't upgraded with latest h264/avc, aac support.

Maybe you could try latest videoredo beta with h264 support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The.King View Post
    . . . . and I have edited and cut to ensure seemless joins . . . .
    So go back to your original sources instead of joining the cut versions
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Yeah if you read it in the right context, you'd realise that I've edited/cut each of the original 4 separate files to enure than when they are joined together - they would be seemless. The originals were all .vob (over 16GB's big) and I've converted each of them to .mp4 without issue. It's the .mp4 files I now need to join together. Thought I explained everything clear enough initially - but apparently not for some peps....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe another member had a problem very similar to yours. In the end i believe they re-encoded all their footage at a constant CRF. Only then were they able to joing thier videos.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Yeah if you read it in the right context, you'd realise that I've edited/cut each of the original 4 separate files to enure than when they are joined together - they would be seemless. The originals were all .vob (over 16GB's big) and I've converted each of them to .mp4 without issue. It's the .mp4 files I now need to join together. Thought I explained everything clear enough initially - but apparently not for some peps....
    What you needed to do was to edit and join all the .vob files first, and then convert them to .mp4. You got it bass ackwards and it is difficult to help you now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can it be done through Avisynth - there was an example a few days ago where some files were concatenated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can it be done through Avisynth - there was an example a few days ago where some files were concatenated.
    YEs the files can be concatenated with avisynth. I've only managed to use avisynth as a frame server. I don't think it will allow direct file out put, the file will still need to be encoded to the desired format.

But i could be wrong, the op could try frameserving into vdub and use directstream copy and try to save the file.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you go through AVISynth, you'll be RE-ENCODING.
    Hell, if you're going to re-encode, just use a good NLE and avoid all this wasted business...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I have had success in the past using Freemake Video Converter to join vids.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MpegStreamClip. Import all MP4s > click File > "Save As" , then choose MP4. Works great for me joining MOVs or MP4s from some of my cameras. Make sure you have the latest QuickTime Alternative installed.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you go through AVISynth, you'll be RE-ENCODING.

Scott
    Precisely!

racer-x - Thanks for the suggestion, but I've attempted to use MpegStreamClip in the past on another program and didn't find it all that accurate.

Anyway, I got it sorted. Found a program which did the job flawlessly - and even better.....it joined them all in about 30 seconds. Sweeet.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies as ever.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, I got it sorted. Found a program which did the job flawlessly - and even better.....it joined them all in about 30 seconds. Sweeet.

Great.

Does this program have a name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can concatenate multiple vobs with a simple DOS command.

COPY file1.vob+file2.vob+file3.vob c:\

The "c:\" can be any local path

From Windows click START / Run / Type in "command"/ and a DOS window will open
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

Great.

Does this program have a name?

You are on a roll this week Baldrick.
    Quote Quote  
  16. To my knowledge, the only two more-or-less reliable freeware programs to join MP4 without re-encoding are avidemux and MP4Box (with its frontend YAMB).

However, success chances depend on the actual video and audio codecs used, since MP4 is just a container like AVI or MKV. You may also observe audio and video going out of sync over time in the merged file if audio is VBR encoded.

To obtain reliable results I recommend converting everything to AVI with a divx or xvid video codec and a mp3 or ac3 audio codec with xmedia recode and using an identical profile, and then join the converted files with virtualdub or avidemux. You can tailor the profile so that the loss of quality won't be noticed.

BTW: I really would also like to know the program discovered by The.King.

w.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i do have a question about this whole "wanting to join 4 mp4's together", you could always concatenate the files vie the command line but my only concern is don't you have to make sure that the GOP's match up? can you take 4 different files with different GOP lengths and presumably GOP structure and seamlessly join them without re-encoding the resulting file to ensure uniform GOP structure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I thought they were VOB's, hehehe.
    Quote Quote  
  19. With binary join ("COPY /B A+B C") you won't properly generate index- and other overall file information for MP4s; playing C is then identical to playing A.

Binary join will only work (sometimes) for pure streaming containers such as mpeg-I/-II, and even then produce arbitrary results since the pictures' timecodes won't be in ascending sequence.

w.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Did anyone find out the program The.King used or any other suggestions for joining MP4 without audio sync issues please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
    Did anyone find out the program The.King used
    He was lying because he was too embarrassed to admit he had NO idea what he was doing or talking about.
    Quote Quote