VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Oh No! Something is not right.

I make DVD movies for my own enjoyment using Windows DVD Maker but recently after burning a DVD the Menu had generated a green bar below the picture.

At first I thought of a bad file but scans using numerous programs came up empty. Then I blamed it on me having a Win 7 64-bit machine but older films were clean. I put the blame of the program and tried AVStoDVD which burns using ImgBurn but still no change, just more green. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of that green bar.
    Name:  DVDMakr example.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  20.6 KB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This issue has cropped up in other forums, so apparently it is not unusual. Is your source, by any chance, an illegal xvid avi download?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Find a better source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    This issue has cropped up in other forums, so apparently it is not unusual. Is your source, by any chance, an illegal xvid avi download?
    No, nothing illegal ... at least as far as I know. Besides, the avi's are from different sources. Next idea?
    Last edited by zarnic; 24th Sep 2011 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The new Smurf film is still in US theaters. There is no DVD or Blu-Ray release yet, and it hasn't been shown on TV. If you have the full film, it is not an authorized release. If you want a good copy of the complete film for personal use, wait for it to be released via normal channels and buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    This issue has cropped up in other forums, so apparently it is not unusual.
    filmboss80 was the biggest help. I changed the file format from xvid avi to wmv and green band was gone. Don't know why, but at least the green band is no longer an issue.

Unfortunately ... while a techical issue, it became a moral issue. That being the case, if I ever have a moral problem now I know where to come.

And for the record, The Smurfs [2011] will be released as a DVD in December ... in the USA, in the European market it already has.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zarnic View Post
    And for the record, The Smurfs [2011] will be released as a DVD in December ... in the USA, in the European market it already has.
    You lying sack of sh!t. It started in theaters less than 30 days ago and is still running IN THEATERS. Here in Germany The Smurfs are called Die Schlümpfe and the movie starts at 12:15PM and 3:00PM(15:00).

http://www.kino.de/kinoprogramm/wolfsburg/cinemaxx-k32978/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as morals, the site rules forbid asking for help with warez.

You have just admitted that you know there is no DVD release in the US, since you stated that won't happen until December. There is none in the EU yet either, which another member living there just confirmed. You are just another guy with a warez-related problem. I can't fathom why this thread was not closed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zarnic is right on the release date for usa i checked amazon.com and there listening December 2 as the release date.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    Zarnic is right on the release date for usa i checked amazon.com and there listening December 2 as the release date.
    Yes, and the release date in Germany is January 31, 2012, from what I read. ...but nobody in the USA or the EU presently has an authorized, legally-obtained DVD copy of this movie in their hot little hands, so there is no possibility of anyone living in those areas making a fair-use copy for their personal use. Not unless they have a time machine and have traveled a few months ahead to get one.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2011 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows DVD Maker doesn't handle avi (or any other non Microsoft format files) properly. If the source is 2.35 aspect ratio (or anything other than 1.33 or 1.78) it doesn't add black pixels to fit. It only does this for wmv files.

The Windows support site recommends that if you have a file that isn't wmv and isn't 4:3 or 16:9, convert it to wmv for use with their DVD Maker. I don't think that's a very good solution. I use AVStoDVD myself but I have never had green bar problems.

Illegal downloads are a can of worms, legal or moral issues notwithstanding. New files are often malware ridden, and even if not, often made using weird codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank You Hoser Rob ... finally someone who understands that I posted a TECHINAL problem and any morality posts did me no good. I use AVStoDVD also, specialy for two videos or movies that come in two parts. Reformatting as wmv did the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No one is trying to play moralist games with you, genius. Try to see if your pea-sized brain can figure out the real, practical reasons why there are warez rules in this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  14. For those of you who believe that I don't have The Smurfs 2011 DVD here : Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Smurfs-2011-Wide-Screen-Front-Cover-56804.jpg
Views:	2222
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	9046
    Now we can all bew happy.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what. One can obtain pictures from a website taking pre-orders for the DVD or for all I know maybe the warez site where you found the download had it.

The DVD won't be available legally for a few months yet. Anyone selling it legally is only taking pre-orders, at most. They can't deliver before the release date.Someone obtained a DVD or a good bootleg prior to the release date and made it available via download. DVD rippers don't produce xvid files, and one would not need to use Windows DVD Maker to create and burn a DVD if one had ripped the DVD.You still have warez.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Oct 2011 at 10:59.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, you can do a Google image search and download that same DVD case sleeve jpg. And as Unusually_Quiet pointed out, the OP's source was .avi (which is not the video file type found on a retail DVD) and the US release date is still more than 7 weeks away. All these facts add up to one conclusion: Zarnic is a bald-faced liar.

Beyond that, the OP still hasn't a clue as to why there are warez rules in this forum. He (or she) assumes it is some kind of moralizing on our part. Instead, our concerns revolve around the fact that there is little incentive for our intrepid webmaster, Mr. Baldrick, to keep this forum going if it becomes a huge pain in the ass to run. Who needs a lot of unnecessary legal entanglements with copyright lawyers and anti-piracy law enforcers?

Zarnic, please get this through your head: we really don't give a sh!t about your activities. We just don't want to pollute this forum by giving advice that promotes or advances warez.
    Quote Quote