VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I love my old Mintek 1600 but it has stopped playing modern files. I'd like to keep it going, but I don't know if it's possible to upgrade the divx version. Anyone ever heard of this or know where to go for more info?
    Thanks
    Last edited by bakedbeens; 24th Sep 2011 at 00:27. Reason: I didn't word it very well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bakedbeens View Post
    possible to upgrade the divx version.
    Do you mean that thing plays Divx files now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As it's a standalone DVD player (as far as I saw with a quick websearch), not likely, no. Most DVD players handle DivX/Xvid playback through hardware decoding, I believe.

You can try checking the manufacturer's website for updated firmware that might allow you to play more recent versions of DivX (but NOT DivX7 using h.264 in an MKV container), but that's unlikely.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. since I got my xbox360 I stopped using my stand alone dvd player for playing divx anymore
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info.
    It's actually not reading divx anymore, but my Toshiba SD-3990 is. Getting kinda flaky, and that's where I started with the upgrade thing, but I love my Mintek so I thought I'd look for that one in earnest.
    Thanks again, guess it's time to buy something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've seen posts here at Videohelp dating back to 2003....nobody mentions this old player ever playing Divx/Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bakedbeens View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    It's actually not reading divx anymore, but my Toshiba SD-3990 is. Getting kinda flaky, and that's where I started with the upgrade thing, but I love my Mintek so I thought I'd look for that one in earnest.
    Thanks again, guess it's time to buy something else.
    Given how old this player is, it's time to stop being cheap and just buy a replacement. Some weeks ago I went to Best Buy and bought a Philips DVP3560 for about $40 plus tax. It was to replace an old Philips DVP642 that gave me 6 years of service. Considering how crappy most of the 642s were (we had posts of some just lasting a month or two before dying), I could not complain about what I got out of it. The DVP3560 can be made region free (hack posted under DVD Players for it still works) as long as you don't upgrade the firmware. Your player is dying. Get a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. it's time to stop being cheap and just buy a replacement
    How Dare You Talk to a cheese head like that lol
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    it's time to stop being cheap and just buy a replacement
    How Dare You Talk to a cheese head like that lol
    Ha ha! The truth hurts sometimes, but as Nick Lowe sang, "You've gotta be cruel to be kind".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    broke-ass cheesehead more like it.

Just trying to squeeze some more life out of my components since being on disability doesn't offer me many chances to buy new equipment. Nevertheless, I shall start scouring NewEgg, or Best Buy.
    Quote Quote