VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have countless hours put into editing. CRAZY hours. Days, Many moons. I grew a wizards beard in the rendering process and I think my family moved out in the spring. 95% of my time is spent on problem solving and or waiting through the rendering and burning process. The videos are kind of stuttering. I cant tell if its dropping a frame or freezing up for a milla second. Being frusterated is a under statement.

I know my PC is a little old but it does have 4 gigs of ram. Im using Sony Vegas 10.

Couple of questions

#1. Is there a better way to rip in DV footage other then firewire?

#2. I rip it in to a exernal harddrive and edit from a external hardrive, is this taxing on the software or computer. My PCs hardrive is consantly filling up?

#3. If you were to buy or have a PC built for editing video & photography. What extras would you focus on to help customize it for video and photography? Ive had enough. I want a race car/rocket ship. Made my mind up to buy a new PC and soup it up.

Ive been using Sony Vegas to edit.

OS Name Microsoft� Windows Vista� Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    System Model G31M-ES2L
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.24 GB
    Available Physical Memory 820 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.70 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 3.50 GB
    Page File Space 3.53 GB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1-no
    2-usb external drives are not good for capturing, they can be interrupted by the operating system too easily and are fairly slow.
    3-take a look at the specs of the computer listed in my profile, it's what i use for editing with vegas and premiere at the moment. i would make sure to have at least 3 fast harddrives in your new system.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rumdaddy View Post

#1. Is there a better way to rip in DV footage other then firewire?

#2. I rip it in to a exernal harddrive and edit from a external hardrive, is this taxing on the software or computer. My PCs hardrive is consantly filling up?
    Welcome to the forums.

Rip is NOT a synonym for "copy". See here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip
    You'll be taken more seriously if you get out of the habit of using it when you shouldn't.

1. Not really. Firewire is pretty fast and your problems have nothing to do with the transfer method.
    2. It's not really taxing anything in the way you mean, but USB 2.0 connections are relatively slow as aedipuss points out. You'd probably need a new PC, but if you could do USB 3.0 or eSATA the transfer rates would be a lot better.
    More info on what settings you are using in Vegas would be helpful. Stuttering can be caused by improper PAL<->NTSC conversions so if you're doing any of that we definitely need to know about it. I'm not a DV expert so others may know if there are other things that can cause this problem.
    3. Your current PC is not too bad, but as I know nothing about Vegas I think it would be better for others to speak to what kind of new PC might be useful to you. I don't know if Vegas is multi-threaded or not but if it is perhaps having more cores could speed things up,.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your computer shouldn't be having any problems with capturing and editing DV footage. Stuttering while previewing complex transitions, maybe. If you are having worse problems than that something is misconfigured or malfunctioning. Add a second internal drive if you need more disk space. Obviously, a faster computer will encode video faster and feel a little more snappy (than a properly functioning E6500 system).
    Quote Quote  
  5. One thing I noticed. When Im panning a wide open shot of a banquet room. Im zoomed way out and wide open. As I very slowly inch my way accross tables and chairs. It seems to almost always act up there. This is part of our routine, so I get this shot alot. Different brands of tapes, different cameras, different firewire. Obviously different weddings. That one shot always has the same identical stutter problem. Why there. What? The frames per second. Wider, wide open shots have more data or mega pixels? What gives?

Some files have zero stuttering. For instance. I did two jobs, one friday, one saturday. Fri, no problem. Start on the Saturdays job right after. Same afternoon of editing. No changes. Only thing different is the DV cassette. BAM. Saturdays stutters so bad I give up, Fridays, done in 90 minutes. Saturdays, I got 4 hours in and no luck.

Mind you. I do this for promotional footage. Im not the hired videographer. But I cant hand out a promotional DVD that stutters and skips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There's a couple of different kinds of "stuttering" and you need to figure out which one(s) are occurring:

1. Stuttering due to DROPPED/SKIPPED FRAMES during recording, capture, encoding, rendering, or converting to DVD. If your system is fully operational and optimized, you should not have ANY of this.

2. Stuttering due to frame rate changes (Telecine/IVTC, Duplicated or Blended/Interpolated frames). If your whole workflow is ONE SYSTEM ONLY (e.g. NTSC, Interlaced) and all devices and applications have matched settings, you shouldn't need to be doing ANY framerate changes, so you shouldn't be having ANY of this.

3. Stuttering due to watching Interlaced footage on a Progressive display (like PC monitor) with improper deinterlacing. Are you sure this is not what's happening? I suspect it is. Check your output directly on an Interlaced monitor to be sure.

This is all assuming you're going from DV camera, through Firewire capture, to DV file storage, to DV editing, to DVD encoding, authoring & burning...

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 22nd Sep 2011 at 13:47. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  7. Upload a small sample of the source that shows the problem.
    Quote Quote