VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

I was trying to edit a video I got as a MKV, containing an AVC/H.264 video stream and AAC audio. I usually use VirtualDub to export the video file to AVI first, so that I can work with it better, so I tried that.

After opening the file, and pressing space to play the video within VirtualDub, I got the “The decompression codec cannot decompress to an RGB format. This is very unusual. Check that any ‘Force YUV2’ options are not enabled in the codec's properties.” – I use CCCP, and playing the video works fine everywhere else. I also tried restoring CCCP’s settings to default, but that didn’t work out either. RGB support is however activated in the ffdshow settings.

If I choose to ignore that error, I can still see the video displaying “fine”. I can even export it, as desired, to AVI. However the output file then contains weird frame jumps, where the video jumps back and forth all the time. I’m guessing this is related to the RGB decompression error.

I also tried to remux the AVC&AAC streams into an MP4 container. Again, I can watch the video just fine anywhere, but when I open it in VirtualDub, the video is simply black.

I really would like a good solution to be able to work with both the MKV and MP4 container in VirtualDub, however I have no idea what to do to make that happen. I do have a few VirtualDub plugins installed which should actually bring additional support (DShowInputDriver, MP4InputDriver), but apparently that isn’t enough.

Attached to this post is a zip with a test video I created (it simply “counts” the frames), in both MKV and MP4 container. Also including is the AVI that I exported using VirtualDub; if you look at it you can easily see how horrible that frame jumping is.

I would be really grateful if you had any solution for this, but please keep comments to use something else than VirtualDub away - I really want to fix this issue with VirtualDub.

Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. your mkv works fine in vdub with matroska import plugin + aac acm

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/

or you can use avisynth + vdub
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow, that was a simple yet perfect solution. Thank you very much, works really great now!

I tried to use Avisynth for it as well, but for some reason the sound got lost then. And MPC just gives an error that it can’t decode the PCM sound (“ACM Wrapper::Output”). Enabling “uncompressed” format in the ffdshow decoder settings made the sound speed up a lot, so I disabled that one again.

Anyway, again thank you very much! If you have any ideas regarding the MP4 black screen, I would love to hear them as well!
    Quote Quote  
  4. MP4 is harder to open (and more inconsistent) in vdub, but you mp4 works here for me

I would normally use avisynth and ffms2 , or avidemux

http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/

e.g

FFMpegSource("video.mp4", atrack=-1)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I’ll try that out, thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote