VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A while ago I wrote a post here looking for some help with cropping video. Someone suggested me to do it with Avidemux. I tried to do it quicky and it worked, but then I put my project aside because I had other stuff to do. Now I tried it again and the result is without audio.

This is what I do: 1) I open a mpg2 file 2) I crop it with the cropping filter 3) I save it as mpg2 again. The output file in ok, but wihout audio. Where's the mistake?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check the output file with MediaInfo to see if there is really no audio. What format was the original audio? You can probably just pass through the original audio when saving it after editing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I downloaded MediaInfo and checked with it, it says that there's just 1 mpg video. I checked also the original file and it says 1 mpg video, 1 mpg audio.

You said to pass through the original audio when savig, how can I do it? Thx!

Remember that thsi is the "newbie" section... which means that I'm bad and I don't know much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You pass through the original audio by setting "audio" to "copy" (on the left).

Open your source file in Avidemux and look at the file info. What does *it* say about the video/audio ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I set audio to copy (and video to mpg) on the left, but no sound. I tried also to change it, for example to choose mp3, still nothing.

I checked file --> properties and under audio it says: codec MP2, channels stereo, bitrate 16000 bps/ 128 kbps, variable bitrate no, frequency 44100 hz, then there's durantion and size.

Now I'm running to work, later I'll try again. If you have any suggestion in the meantime, I'll try it too when I'm back home.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it myself and got the same result as you. Perhaps it's a bug in the program.
    Wouldn't be the first time Avidemux produced unexpected results. I'll poke around in their forum
    and see if I can find anything...

EDIT -
    set the "format" to mpeg-ps(A+V) and it works OK.
    Last edited by davexnet; 20th Sep 2011 at 11:32.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tried to change the output format and a couple of other settings and it finally worked! Thanks a lot!!!
    Quote Quote