VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question about what I should do about the proper rendering settings. I have two different formats to work with so let me know what would be best. I have SD and HDV in the computer ready to use. I would like to use the HDV but if it won't work I won't use it.
    Here is what I do. During the week we play the game from Friday night for people to watch. I now have the opportunity to use the higher quality HDV if I can but when I render I need to render to avi and put on a hdd and then bring it to the tech center and download it into the computer for scheduled playing. The thing we have found works best for the software program that runs the schedule is to use avi. Can anyone tell me what I should do to make it work best and give me the best possible playback quality? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avi is a general term for the container of audio video interleaved. you need to be more specific - what's in the avi? divx xvid mpg compressed uncompressed mp3 aac ac3 etc?

what program is doing the playing?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is HDV from Sony HDR-FX7 camera.
    Windows media player is what runs the program that plays it for broadcast.

This is also in vegas pro 9.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 18th Sep 2011 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    It is HDV from Sony HDR-FX7 camera.
    Windows media player is what runs the program that plays it for broadcast.

This is also in vegas pro 9.
    So the typical user is getting the file how?

Download full file?

Streaming from somewhere?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bring my hdd up to the tech room where the equipment room is and download it into the computer that plays the game. Full file usually between 12-15GB. No streaming. It goes through your standard cable to a station that it plays through. I don't know if that is the info you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bring my hdd up to the tech room where the equipment room is and download it into the computer that plays the game. Full file usually between 12-15GB. No streaming. It goes through your standard cable to a station that it plays through. I don't know if that is the info you are looking for.
    You could keep it HDV MPeg2 which can get acceleration from even old display cards.

If all the computers are recent with h.264 decode capable display cards + setup correctly, then you could use h.264.

I'd keep them MPeg2 myself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We just seemed to have problems with the computer and the program when we tried that. This was the most fool proof. I guess now it is a newer one since the old one broke down this summer. I could try that and see what it would work like. What would the quality be like compared to the avi?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rendering in general question when it comes to standard rendering in mpeg2. Will a person notice a difference if rendered at 8,300,000 as compared to 9,300,000?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rendering in general question when it comes to standard rendering in mpeg2. Will a person notice a difference if rendered at 8,300,000 as compared to 9,300,000?
    So you are talking SD now?

avi with what codec?

Why does the file need to be small at all vs HDV @ 25,000 Kb/s (~12.5GB/hr)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am hopping around expecting you to read my mind. Sorry, yes SD. Not worrying about avi with this one. This is involving mpeg2 for the SD that we have to create for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me try to understand. By "AVI" are you talking about an SD DV format capture file?

Or are you talking about a post edit export from Premiere? If so is "AVI" export to DV format?

If you want to export render for DVD use the MPeg2 DVD Architect Wide template

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas_DVD_Arch.png
Views:	826
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	8725

Then modify bit rates per in "Custom Settings" using the VideoHelp Bitrate Calculaor.
    https://www.videohelp.com/calc

For a 62 minute program or less set video bitrate to 9500 Kbps CBR and audio to 224 Kbps

For an 80 minute program use VBR with average video bit rate of 7395 and 224 Kbps for audio.

Name:	Bit-rate.png
Views:	379
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	8726

Two Pass VBR will give a more predictable file size but double the encode time. If you want to use single pass, back off on average bitrate 5 to10%.

Name:	Vegas-80min.png
Views:	289
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	8729
    Last edited by edDV; 19th Sep 2011 at 12:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is what I wanted to see. I have had a sleep deprived weekend. I jumped the track and was referring to mainconcept mpeg2 going on to architect. AVI is old news. I really wanted to know if a person would notice much difference if you went through these settings and did 8,300,000 instead of 9,500,000 or even 9,300,000? When you talk about audio are you including audio or are you rendering it separately? What do you like to do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is what I wanted to see. I have had a sleep deprived weekend. I jumped the track and was referring to mainconcept mpeg2 going on to architect. AVI is old news. I really wanted to know if a person would notice much difference if you went through these settings and did 8,300,000 instead of 9,500,000 or even 9,300,000? When you talk about audio are you including audio or are you rendering it separately? What do you like to do?
    Push the audio tab to set audio bit rate.

Sports video in low light is the among the worst cases for encoding so should get the most bit rate the DVD spec will allow. Up to an hour, CBR gets the best result. If the game goes over an hour, VBR should get better results as the average bit rate falls.

For a well lit low motion scene, you won't see much difference 8000 vs 9500 Kbps. The more motion and noise, the more difference you will see.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you include the audio in the render with video or do you usually render it on its own?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you include the audio in the render with video or do you usually render it on its own?
    You can so it either way. For DV or HDV video I usually include audio in the render so it is easily playable.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's the way I have been doing it lately because if you want to play it back it does have sound. Someone once said to leave it off and render it separately so I used to do it that way until about a year ago.

edDV, you use Vegas Pro, right? Have you ever used the platinum suite they also have? I was wondering if in my case that might be a better fit. I do want to know if I would have a lot of the same things but what would I lose? Do you know for sure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's the way I have been doing it lately because if you want to play it back it does have sound. Someone once said to leave it off and render it separately so I used to do it that way until about a year ago.

edDV, you use Vegas Pro, right? Have you ever used the platinum suite they also have? I was wondering if in my case that might be a better fit. I do want to know if I would have a lot of the same things but what would I lose? Do you know for sure?
    I have both. Platinum has most of the features you need for HDV/DVD. Sony's Vegas suite has a comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I have checked those comparisons and I could live without all of them BUT I don't think the platinum will utilize the CUDA if I understand right when I talked to tech dept. Anyone know for sure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nope.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, you don't know for sure? or nope it does not utilize CUDA?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, you don't know for sure? or nope it does not utilize CUDA?
    The Cuda enhancements coming in the future Pro 11 are not in the current Platinum 11.

It won't make much difference for what you are doing. Most advantages will go to multilayer complex effects edit preview render, not to speeding encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, seriously I would not notice any difference by purchasing the more stupid friendly platinum?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, seriously I would not notice any difference by purchasing the more stupid friendly platinum?
    Vegas Pro has more settings options and features. Depends what you are doing.

I've found, by having both, I can get Platinum to do many of the Pro features because I know where the missing buttons can be found. For example, I can get Platinum to do a 60p or 24p AVCHD project even though the project settings are missing in the menus.

This doesn't affect your DV/HDV 60i workflow which is directly supported in Platinum.

You haven't mentioned doing layered graphics or title tricks. Pro is much better at that. Also things like multi-camera and motion tracking.
    Last edited by edDV; 20th Sep 2011 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had the time to learn how to do layered graphics or title tricks and at this time may never have the time so not sure where to even start. I don't know how hard it is but I would have to learn it first. No multi-camera in our arsenal yet and not sure about what motion tracking is.
    edDV have you ever used after effects?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had the time to learn how to do layered graphics or title tricks and at this time may never have the time so not sure where to even start. I don't know how hard it is but I would have to learn it first. No multi-camera in our arsenal yet and not sure about what motion tracking is.
    edDV have you ever used after effects?
    Yes but more complex than what I normally need.
    Quote Quote