VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody.

I have downloaded and installed the program DVD Slideshow GUI as it was recommended by Gizmo's Best Freeware site;
    "Not only can you import photos and soundtracks with the program, you can also add to your project additional media types such as videos in avi or avs format..."

Just what I'm after to create a quick, simple DVD of my holiday photos for my Mum! 1 day later, I'm none the wiser and have no idea how to use this program.

I have watched the tutorial movie, which makes no mention of including videos, but hey... maybe it will just 'work'.

As per the tutorial, I do the following: Menu: Slideshow > Add Slides and Videos

When the software gets to my short AVI, I receive this message: "Please choose a valid encoder under the Presets Menu."
    The only choice is to hit 'OK', which I do, expecting to be brought to this 'Presets Menu'. I wasn't and my images keep loading.

When my selections are complete, I receive the following message: "This will give you a total of 529 slides. Depending on you (sic) hardware slideshows with more than 300 slides may fail. Preview before render to check." Again, my only option is to press 'OK', which I do.

Continuing to follow the tutorial movie, I click on the 'Slideshow' menu item, then 'Add Music'.

I am presented with the following message: "Please choose a valid player under the Presets Menu." I again click 'OK'

Let's find out what this 'Presets Menu' is, eh? I click 'Help' and type into the 'Search' field, 'Presets'.

I am shown a page of Project Settings - NONE of which mention a 'valid encoder' OR a'valid player'.

I am now stuck. I cannot see this 'Presets' menu anywhere.

Can somebody please direct me to some instructions/tutorials on how to produce a slideshow which includes movies, or failing that,
    can somebody please tell me where this elusive 'Presets' menu is, and how can I enter a 'valid encoder' and a 'valid player'?

Thank-you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the encoders player and presets should have installed with the program. download the latest version from the tool section here. maybe try running the installer as admin.

lots of guides. https://www.videohelp.com/guides?tools=721&&archive=%25
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, aedipuss.

Thanks for the advice. I already have the latest version. I infer that what you are actually saying is, "the symptoms you are experiencing are not what should occur after a successful installation of this program, and are not what you should be seeing."

My next step is to uninstall the program using Revo, re-boot and re-install the program as local admin.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did as I said in my previous message and all seems to be working very well so far. The issue I have at the moment is that I'd like to make a slideshow from over 1000 photographs, and I am finding that this is a difficult amount of material to keep in RAM. so I am forced to make two slideshows of 500 pics each and then learn a new process of how to copy two slideshows to one DVD disk.
    Oh well. It's all a learning curve until orange flounts casually and emits plank ostentatiously. Hmm. I think there's something there for us all..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep in mind that NOBODY will sit through a slide show with "over 1000 photographs".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Keep in mind that NOBODY will sit through a slide show with "over 1000 photographs".
    Or even 10
    Quote Quote  
  7. @wreckage

Sounds like something has gone wrong in your installation of DSG. You could try to 'Help->Restore to Factory Settings' and try to preview. If this doesn't work. Go to 'Slideshow->External Applications' and set up the paths for the encoder, player etc. - they are located in the 'DVD slideshow GUI' folder. (Presets Menu was the old name for the Project Settings menu, which once had the paths for the encoder, player etc.. Now those are located in the 'Slideshow->External Applications' menu.

What is the name of the path you installed DSG to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Proshow it has alot of options that you are looking for you can add music and it has many preset transistions that you can choose from if you want
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all your help.

I have spent a measely $30 on PhotoStage which should do all the things I need.

I'll let you all know if it works well.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote