VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just converted about a hundred cd's to flac and put them on my hard drive. I would like to burn them onto a dvd to back them up. Is there a way to check each and every file on the dvd to make sure that it is good - without playing each and every song? I love my music, but at the same time, I am in a transient phase of life and love the idea of being able to dump my cd's...but I am nervous about this idea. Is there a program that will check each file? Should I use some kinds of compression to burn the dvd? the DVD is mostly for archive purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're that concerned, you might try generating PAR/PAR2 verification files for each file, and archive those as well. Then, you can use those to verify the files whenever you want. Also, you might create more than one copy of the data disc(s), and carefully store the additional copy/copies where they'll be safe. (Assuming, of course, you're using quality disc media...)

You can also always buy another hard drive specifically for storing your media files.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are also many "file compare" programs that will take pointers to two folders and compare all the files. I use WinMerge a lot. It's designed more for text files but it has a binary mode too. Windows even has a built in "FC" utility that can compare two files. It's a command line program though. Linux has similar utilities.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless there's something seriously wrong with your system, be it HW or SW, the flacs burned on to DVD disc will be identical with your hDD copies..Bit for bit..
    If It were me, for archiving, I'd back them on to an external HDD instead or both if you prefer, but that's your call..
    If you're still in doubt or as stated ,that concerned, try foobar2k's 'Bit Comparator' utility..Just import the original WAV and it's flac copy and compare..
    Or if you like, import both the HDD flac and it's flac track from the dvd disc copy..

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=File:Foobar2000-Bitcompare-usage.png
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote