VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone no how to get around the DRM on files recorded with a cable card on a PC? I just got the new Silicon Dust HD Prime 3 tuner USB 2.0 . I need to convert them so I can edit them and watch without ads. Then I plan to convert and compress to MKV to save space.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't live with DRMed wtv files, then a CableCARD tuner was an unwise purchase. There is no way to remove DRM from protected .wtv files. If it were possible, CableCARD tuners would never have passed Cable Labs certification for tuning copy protected channels. The best you may be able to do is re-record using a screen capture program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Obviously it can be done.

All you have to do is go to any BitTorrent site and look at all the copy protected shows that have been edited and compressed. Lots of people must know how to accomplish this. Sooner or later they all get hacked. Just ask the DVD and Blu-Ray industry.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are other ways for people who want to share files to get their raw material that don't involve using a CableCARD tuner, and the required versions of Windows Media Center.

If a method for breaking PlayReady exists, nobody has gone public with it. The NSA could likely do it, but I think they have better things to do with their time. LOL

If a method for defeating the DRM on .wtv files was widely known, then I'm pretty sure Cable Labs would never have approved the new CabeCARD tuners.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Sep 2011 at 01:18.
    Quote Quote