VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

About two years ago, I posted here seeking suggestions for a suitable graphics card and was recommended the GTX260, which I then bought. Unfortunately, it worked for just over a year and then stopped, as posted here also. Also unfortunate was that it took me so long in trying to figure out if it was the card that was faulty, that the measly 1 year warranty which XFX provides to UK customers had expired! I now need a new graphics card and was hoping for some suggestions again.

Anyhow, my requirements are more or less the same as before. Playing high quality video is one of the most important things I want from the pc. I would also like to do basic editing that doesn't lower the quality of the video (removing/joining parts from video) and have two media players running at the same time (video/sound).

I don't plan on overclocking at all and don't play any games at the moment but could play one or two in future, such as a flight sim or something, so I'd like it to be able to handle the odd game or two.

As suggested two years ago on this forum, the card must be nVidia (as they directly support Linux I was told), must have VDPAU capabilities (whatever that means) and have 2 separate dual link DVI ports to run two 1920 x 1200 monitors (and rotate screen on one of them). The GTX260 and the nVidia drivers were capable of this and were compatible with Linux, so I would like something as close to the GTX260 as possible. Would buying another GTX260 still be perfect for my needs or does the advance of technology (if any) dictate that I need something more up to date? I must say that I was surprised to see that the price of that card doesn't seem to have gone down any in 2 whole years!

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by A Traveller; 16th Sep 2011 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the more recent gtx560 ($165) or gtx460 ($100) would be more up to date.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just about every video card made now supports all of that -- except dual DVI, obviously. VDPAU is the equivalent of DXVA in Windows -- hardware video decoding and encoding. Nvidia has better support under Linux. Gaming is where the real differences are.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Sep 2011 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies aedipuss/jagabo.

I would also like to ask a question about something that I don't quite understand. From what I understand, my monitor is connected using a single link DVI cable (it has two separate blocks of 9 pins) which means that at 60Hz it should only go up to 1920x1080 resolution, however, the monitor information on my pc and in the menu on the monitor itself shows 1920x1200. At the moment it is connected to the onboard graphics of the motherboard, whose manual states 'The DVI-D port conforms to the DVI-D specification and supports a maximum resolution of 2560x1600'. I am confused! Do I need to worry about 'dual link' or not when choosing a graphics card?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Single link DVI supports up to 1920x1200 at 60 Hz. Even higher with lower refresh rates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Digital
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link jagabo. I had read in more than one location that it went up to 1080, including at the following, which I thought was a trusted source.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4455

I'm not complaining though! Haha.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Aside from gaming you won't see much difference in performance between a US$75 and a $400 card. I'd look to spending around $100 to $150. A gtx 460 should be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok jagabo/aedipuss, a 460 it may be then! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the money ... go for the 460 ... I am getting by using a Nvidia 9500GT ... I prefer to use the addon video component adapter that plugs into the back of the video card and I then connect to my Sony 31" HDTV or to my Panasonic 42" HDTV.

I then use my Pioneer Receivers to do the video switching to my Sony or Panasonic HDTVs.

I dont really want to deal with HDMI on the newer Video cards.

As for game playing ... I play Crysis 2 ... with no issues ... with a 9500GT ... I have modified the shroud on the video card ... and added a small fan that forces air into the shroud and it does a better job of keeping the video GPU running cool.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks lacywest, it will be on it's way tomorrow!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I didn't mean to suggest you couldn't get by with something cheaper. Unless you use a CUDA encoder you won't see any difference between that card and your previous gtx 260. Even lesser cards.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's ok jagabo, in some places the 260 cost MUCH more than the 460, so the 460 is probably the best one to have gone for. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. GT 220 (2GB) for me, working every single since 2 years now no sign of faillure thus far (knocking some wood)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply themaster1. The 460 is already installed in my pc now, haha.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by A Traveller View Post
    Thanks for your reply themaster1. The 460 is already installed in my pc now, haha.
    Okay ... come on now ... can you post a link of the card you got.

... how well does it work ... Have you tried playing Crysis 2 with it ??
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi lacywest.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3530#ov

... how well does it work ... Have you tried playing Crysis 2 with it ??
    Stupid Linux won't let me install the drivers for it yet so I don't know. Oh, I won't be playing any games anytime soon.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote