VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all!

I wanted to know if there is a way to convert the Format Profile of an MKV file from High@L5.0 to High@L3.1 .

I'd like to do this because my Android phone (HTC Desire S) can hardware decode L3.1, but has to SW decode L5.0 (and therefore lags like hell @L5.0).
    I also want to know what these format profiles do/mean, because I only found out that that's the reason they can't be HW decoded but haven't got a clue what it means.
    If possible, i would like to do it the fastest way possible, so that I don't have to spend an hour to decode a movie before being able to watch a movie.
    However, if there is no other way, I'd rather do wait than not convert at all of course =D.
    By the way, processing power is not an issue. I've got a Core2Quad Q6600 @3,2GHz for decoding. Also, if there's an encoder that supports CUDA it would be preferable, because i'd be able to use my GTX460's processing power as well.

Sorry for any possible bad English!

Thanks in advance,
    xIntenso
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try mediacoder. in both h264 and cuda you can select the profile and level you wish to encode to.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    try mediacoder. in both h264 and cuda you can select the profile and level you wish to encode to.
    Perfect!
    Thanks a lot.
    Encoding is not extremely fast, but still A LOT faster than with other converters (I went from 1.5x to 2.8x conversion speed) thanks to the CUDA support.

Could you also tell me what Format Profile actually does?

Thanks again!
    xIntenso
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    profiles and levels determine how complex the encoding is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. kareem, do you realize those are old threads you are replying to?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    He's just spamming other old links as well.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote