VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Green Horn
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded a DVD on a Pioneer DVR 220 but forgot to finalize it. I no longer own the recorder and have been unable to find a used one. I have inserted the DVD in my mac and into a PC but they cannot see it. It doesn't appear on my desktop so I cannot select it with an aap. Any way to finalize it? or should I continue looking for a used Pioneer DVR 220?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you can't finalize it. But you might be able to extract the video/data with isobuster pro or cd roller and then can you reauthor a new dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Green Horn
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I am a mac user but I can get ahold of a PC
    Quote Quote  
  4. File extraction from unfinalized DVDs can be tricky if you aren't geekwork-inclined: this isn't a quickie task a Mac owner can just casually borrow a Windows laptop to knock off in an hour.

You're better off posting messages on social networks seeking fellow Pioneer owners in your Ann Arbor vicinity who would be willing to finalize a DVD for you. It takes less than a minute to do. If all else fails, PM me with your contact info and I'll finalize it for you in my own Pioneer if you mail the dvd to me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Green Horn
    Search Comp PM
    I would be eternally grateful if you could finalize it for me. The DVD contains the only record of my stepson's appearances on Conan O'Brien's show. Tim was a writer on the show and appeared frequently in comedy sketches. Susan my wife collected them over a period of several years. And I forgot to finalize it. It would mean the world to her to be able to watch them again. If you want to send me your address you can send it to boba@umich.edu
    Quote Quote  
  6. Green Horn
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. I don't know what PM means. That should give you a sense of how up to date i am with todays technolgey .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bobaumichedu View Post
    P.S. I don't know what PM means. That should give you a sense of how up to date i am with todays technolgey .
    PM is new technology? Not really...

It is Private Message. Click on the user's name and a window pops up with a Private Message option. This allows you to message only this person.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bobaumichedu,

My only fear of you mailing me your DVD is if it gets lost or damaged, since it is such an important personal video.

For safety's sake, talk to someone you know who has a Windows PC and who also understands how to download and install simple programs. Ask them to download and install the IMGburn program, the most popular DVD utility here on VH. Once installed, have them choose the "make image file from disc" option, load your DVD, and let it make a copy to their hard drive. When done, they should remove your DVD, put in a blank DVD, and choose "burn image file to disk" (selecting the file they just made on their HDD). When the copy DVD is done, your friend can eject it and then delete the image file from their HDD.

You might also be able to make the copy on your Mac using the built-in disc copy utility or a program like Roxio Toast, but the Windows IMGburn utility is usually more accurate for this type of weird disc copying task.

Send me the copy DVD, and I will finalize it for you. I've emailed you the shipping address.

BTW, I strongly suggest you go back to your last post above and edit it to remove your email address: it's a bad idea to leave that out in the open, because of internet "robots" that harvest visible addresses in forums for spam purposes. That is why we have the PM system, to avoid openly posting our email addresses: had I known you didn't know what a PM was, I would have explained it first: sorry about that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Green Horn
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I took my email address out but I'm thinking of replacing it with the email address of my worst enemy
    I could send it special delivery which is secure. I have sent over $5,000.00 in cash through the mail using special delivery. I learned that special delivery is often used so send large amounts of cash, valuable jewelry. The letter/package is passed from hand to hand. Each new postal worker has to sign for it and is responsible for it while it is in his/her custody so that is always in the custody of a known postal employee. Of course I would cover the return cost of the special delivery
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    For safety's sake, talk to someone you know who has a Windows PC and who also understands how to download and install simple programs. Ask them to download and install the IMGburn program, the most popular DVD utility here on VH. Once installed, have them choose the "make image file from disc" option, load your DVD, and let it make a copy to their hard drive. When done, they should remove your DVD, put in a blank DVD, and choose "burn image file to disk" (selecting the file they just made on their HDD). When the copy DVD is done, your friend can eject it and then delete the image file from their HDD.
    Is this even possible with an unfinalized DVD? I truly do not know, but let's just say I'm skeptical but willing to admit with zero personal experience that maybe it can be done. There are limits to what ImgBurn can do. I once (not on this website) saw this "make image file" suggestion as a way to make a copy of a Mac OSX installation disc and it totally did not work because ImgBurn couldn't make any sense out of the Mac file system on the disc. Sometimes people just suggest this kind of thing under the assumption that it will work.

bobaumichedu - Any time people use abbreviations that I don't know, I go to
    http;//www.urbandictionary.com
    and look them up. There's a definition there for PM. Remember that website!
    Quote Quote  
  11. IMGburn will duplicate unfinalized Pioneer DVDs: I have owned more Pioneers than I can shake a stick at and have needed to do this occasionally. Apple's installation discs are from a different planet, versions thru 10.3 could be duplicated with their own disc copy utility but as the size ballooned to DVD9 in later versions it has become very very difficult to make a functional backup copy of an OSX installer. That has nothing to do with IMGburn and everything to do with Apple being a royal friggin PITA to its users whenever it suits their purposes.

To those who are wondering, the IMGburn copy of an unfinalized Pioneer DVD cannot in itself be finalized, but it will be accepted by a Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder for its own internal recopying process and eventual finalization of that third duplicate. Each DVD/HDD recorder has a different range of things it will and will not do with various types of DVD: some Pioneers are just slightly more flexible than average in this regard, if you know their little tricks. In this case, apparently bobaumichedu would prefer to finalize the original disc so will be shipping it under high security.
    Quote Quote