VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burnt 5 Verbatim Discs, purchased at Supermedia store from two different cakes and all were consecutive coasters.
    Imgburn error message: "Invalid address for write." I updated to the latest firmware revision too. I am now burning to a Verbatim 2X RE disc and all is going well. Therefore, would you agree, the Verbatim discs are crap for these cakes and not the burner- Sony Optiarc BD 5300S?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a lot of things.
    1) Your burner is going bad.
    2) The discs really are crap. Need more info on exactly what you bought though. Posting media codes or telling where they were manufactured would be useful. Verbatim's Life series is lower quality than their other disc lines. Verbatim DL discs can be hit or miss depending on what you bought. The fastest speed rated discs and the 2.4x DataLifePlus inkjet printable DVD+R DL discs are fine. Slower speed non-DataLifePlus DL media can be made in India and many don't like those.
    3) You're burning too fast (related to the 2 previous ones).

I only buy Verbatim DataLifePlus or Taiyo Yuden's Watershield line when I need single layer DVDs. The DataLifePlus discs are as good as they ever were.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Identifier to check the media code.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

"Invalid address for write."
    That sounds more like a burner problem, or at least a problem with communication from the OS to the burner. I would check my cables. Verbatim discs seem to burn OK for most everyone else, though it's always possible to get a bad disc. (Or a box of bad discs.) Or maybe your particular burner is overly sensitive to the discs or the discs are bad.

Which Verbatim discs caused the problem? With Imgburn you should be able to come up with the manufacturers media code. I don't know who makes Verbatim discs, probably depends on the disc info. You can also get the media code from this page: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?dvdinfo=1#dvdinfo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just selected a disc from the middle of the cake and it recorded correctly as did my BD RE disc so, these discs were crap. I will check with DVD Identifier and see what it says. It says "manufacturer not found in data base-that's why these discs are shi!.
    So, you have to be careful from whom you buy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    I just selected a disc from the middle of the cake and it recorded correctly as did my BD RE disc so, these discs were crap. I will check with DVD Identifier and see what it says. It says "manufacturer not found in data base-that's why these discs are shi!.
    So, you have to be careful from whom you buy.
    Is there some reason why you can't use ImgBurn to find the media code and post it? Do you realize that DVD Identifiers's database has not been updated for nearly two years?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From Imgburn - -Disc ID: VERBAT - IMu - 000. Looks like these are the bad guys.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Holy crap. I don't think I've seen that on Verbatims before. I'd guess that these are low quality made in India discs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked it up, and the media code VERBAT-IMw-000 indicates LTH BD-R's If so, they are genuine Verbatim BD recordable discs, but they are LTH (low to high), which many BD burners have difficulty with. Standard BD-R's use HTL (high to low) instead, which is compatible with more burners.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Sep 2011 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I found:
    Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Co., Ltd.
    VERRBAT
    IMu
    1-6X
    LTH
    25GB (12cm)
    Last edited by pepegot1; 16th Sep 2011 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LTH is the cause of your problem. You probably need to get the standard HTL media, not LTH. LTH discs are fine if you have a burner that is designed to use LTH, but if you don't have one of those burners, then they are trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's something I found In an Amazon listing for Verbatim BD-R LTH media that may provide some help resolving your problem:

Q: Does Verbatim provide compatibility support on BD-R LTH media?

A: For additional support, please contact our tech support group at 1-800-538-8589, Mon - Fri 8am to 9pm (EST). If you find that the BD-R LTH media that you purchased is not compatible with your Blu-ray burner or player, we will replace your purchase with HTL BD-R media.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You could see if ImgBurn can find a firmware update for your burner. It seems that your burner does not have a write strategy specifically for Verbatim LTH discs. If you have no luck with that, exchange them.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got a new cake of non LTH discs and the burn and play were successful. This does not mean that LTH discs are no good, as some have had success with them and a sample of one is not statistically significant. An ANOVA by lots and burners would tell the tail. However, I cannot afford to experiment with expensive media etc.
    Quote Quote