VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi, so first of all im really not too computer literate, i dont know a whole lot about them other than how to use them. I basically just edit videos i make for my band, and recently updated to an HD camera. So as im sure you guessed, i didnt realize hd vids are like 6 times bigger than non-hd files... soooo i need a new computer, and i dont want to be spending more than around 350, so used is looking to make the most sense right now.

basically i have just been looking locally on kijiji and this is what i have found, all i really need to know is if it is going to be good enough to edit hd video (little to no lag on playback) i use vegas 9 pro for editing. If it will be a pain in the butt i would really just love to know why and if it would be an expensive upgrade or not to make it smooth for editing.

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-Gaming-Computer-450-or-best-offer-W0...AdIdZ313237789

thanks for any help, greatly appreciated, and sorry about the lack of computer knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it should be ok. it needs at least one more, but preferably 2 fast hard drives. the one that comes with it is a slow storage type drive. i'd guess it doesn't come with an operating system either so you will probably have to buy windows 7 on your own.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    ok thanks! my videos are usually like, 6-10 minutes at the most (each) and i have an external hard drive to put everything on after im done a video. does that maybe solve the need for faster hd? or do they help me that much when it comes a to smooth playback/edit that i should upgrade? what would something like that cost (roughly of course)

thanks a lot though!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    having one slow internal hard drive would be a bit of a bottleneck. normal editing stations have at least 3 drives. boot/source/destination. at least 1 more internal 7200rpm drive would make your life easier.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    having one slow internal hard drive would be a bit of a bottleneck. normal editing stations have at least 3 drives. boot/source/destination. at least 1 more internal 7200rpm drive would make your life easier.
    Aedipuss is correct especially for HD video you better off with 7200 RPM drives. And have separate source and destination drives. With that rig you will also be able to off load work to the GPU using Cuda. Should make a nice little setup.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    im not too sure what that stuff means, to be honest however....sounds like a decent buy for me so i made an offer....

what do you think about the graphics card? because so far it seems like the stuff you guys are saying i need is one or two more hdd's and maybe more ram, but for the most part it may work for the short videos im going to be editing as is?
    Quote Quote