VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    !!!PROBLEM SOLVED!!! you'll find the answer at the end of this text, but first read this in case you got a different issue.

Hello everybody

so if you got a sony hdr-cx116e maybe you've faced this issue before, basically when you record with that camcorder there is a limit of recording time due to the format type of the memory card, i know this because i contacted the sony tech department and they told me so...

so what is the problem? well, if you're not picky then you wont hear any difference, but when editing you can actually see there is some part of the audio missing (always on the last second), it's very very short and you really need to pay attention, if you play 2 of those long files together you can hear the gap.

solution, well, i haven't been able to find it, but someone told me there is a way in which vegas can make this gap disappear, sadly i got no more contact with that person, so maybe someone here has encountered the same problem...

please refer to my first thread to get a better perspective:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326622-sony-Vpro-9-video-longer-than-sound

so thank you vey much for your help, hope to hear from you soon

so the solution is very simple, sony camcorders come with a software called PICTURE MOTION BROWSER (PMB), what you need to do is use this program to import the files to your hdd, you should not do it manually, just let the program work, what you musk kep in mind is that you need to keep the file system files inside the memory card untouched, i mean the "AVCHD" folder, inside it are files very important to put back together your video files.

it's very easy, just try...

i should also say, i've contacted sony vegas department for help.... they don't know nothing!!!! after a while they just ignore my mails, those overpaid workers....

this solution came to me from a youtube user...

hope this can help
    Last edited by cesarin; 12th Dec 2011 at 08:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe you try another software.
    First, I work with Sony PMB and merge video files. After I merged the files I made Bluray in Adobe Encore with menu. Everything sound great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ungroup the audio, trim the bad part, then hold down ctrl and stretch it back out.

OR

Trim the video back.

When you time stretch audio in Vegas, it maintains the pitch, whereas simply stretching it in an audio program will lower the pitch and then you have to tweak that too.

In the case that you want to join sequential clips seamlessly, you have to drill down to the frames level and make your join by ear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	1474
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	8637
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th Sep 2011 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slobadaca View Post
    Maybe you try another software.
    First, I work with Sony PMB and merge video files. After I merged the files I made Bluray in Adobe Encore with menu. Everything sound great.

thank you, will think about that...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Ungroup the audio, trim the bad part, then hold down ctrl and stretch it back out.

OR

Trim the video back.

When you time stretch audio in Vegas, it maintains the pitch, whereas simply stretching it in an audio program will lower the pitch and then you have to tweak that too.

In the case that you want to join sequential clips seamlessly, you have to drill down to the frames level and make your join by ear.

[Attachment 8637 - Click to enlarge]

Hey, thanks for replying

first of all, i have tried to trim the audio like you said, the result is crappy...

i don't really want to tweak anything as i've been doing that so far...

the best i could do by ear is to move the second file onto the first one and then play a little bit with how the audio sounds, doing all that without the silence audio part ofcourse...

my goal would be letting vegas do all the dirty job... the question is how...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "...the result is crappy"?

What's that supposed to mean?

There's only 13 frames missing audio. At 30fps, that's only about 1/3 of a second. Splitting that section off, and stretching the source 13 frames is NOT going to be an audible difference.

The video needs to be patched first so there's no "jump" where the recording stopped and started. Use that stub you clipped off as filler and blend it in using pan/crop and track motion.

Convert the audio to PCM if it's compressed.
    Last edited by budwzr; 15th Sep 2011 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "...the result is crappy"?

What's that supposed to mean?

There's only 13 frames missing audio. At 30fps, that's only about 1/3 of a second. Splitting that section off, and stretching the source 13 frames is NOT going to be an audible difference.

The video needs to be patched first so there's no "jump" where the recording stopped and started. Use that stub you clipped off as filler and blend it in using pan/crop and track motion.

Convert the audio to PCM if it's compressed.

by crappy i mean is not good... what can i say? im a perfectionist...
    i see what you mean until:

"Use that stub you clipped off as filler and blend it in using pan/crop and track motion" i don't really understand that...

but i get the main idea, so i will try that.

thanks for the input
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I meant was that the two video thumbnails that come together don't seem to match perfectly. You're drilled down to the frame level and the two ends don't match. At the frame level there's not going to be much visible difference between frames, but you have quite a bit.

[Attachment 8687 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by budwzr; 16th Sep 2011 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Use the (crappy) included software with your camera to join the files, and there will be no audio glitches
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Use the (crappy) included software with your camera to join the files, and there will be no audio glitches
    Yeah, I've heard that too, but I assumed the OP had that covered. I guess I made an ass/u/me faux paw! hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Use the (crappy) included software with your camera to join the files, and there will be no audio glitches
    Yeah, I've heard that too, but I assumed the OP had that covered. I guess I made an ass/u/me faux paw! hahaha

i understood correctly what you said before, just confirming....

and about the crappy soft, i never used it, not even sure there is one... i just assumed vegas was way better...
    guess im gonna look for it...

thxxx for your replies!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What PDR is saying is that some cameras (yours) need to have the videos stitched back together by the camera software, because they store it in raw chunks and the timecode is not right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cesarin View Post

so what is the problem? well, if you're not picky then you wont hear any difference, but when editing you can actually see there is some part of the audio missing (always on the last second), it's very very short and you really need to pay attention, if you play 2 of those long files together you can hear the gap.
    This is common with AVCHD camcorders, where the filesystem necessarily limits the size to around 2GB. Often, as observed, the last half-second or so of audio is muted in the 2GB clip. The video goes on, so it's not good to unlink the audio and stretch it just to fill that gap; probably best to cut off that part of the clip and just crossfade to the next.
    However, most current NLE programs that recognize at least AVCHD ver1 are designed to seamlessly stitch together these *.mts clips so that you get back the whole shot that occured between subsequent presses of the camcorder start/stop button. The trick when importing is to drag the entire /BDMV folder, not just individual clips. There are other files and folders in there with information that the NLE program uses to stitch them back accurately, and all gaps will be gone. The new stitched file as it appears now on the project bin will be named after the 1st of the consecutive files (0001.mts, 0002.mts, 0003.mts will be stitched together and named 0001.mts).
    In a camcorder SD card or HDD, you might have shot different programs at different times; the camcorder automatically revises the index.bdm files and others so you probably still have to drag everything into the NLE when importing just to ensure the files are stitched properly. The inconvenience here then is that you have files in the program bin that you do not need. But after comparing exactly which files were stitched from what, then just delete the others.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=turk690;2107168]

This is common with AVCHD camcorders, where the filesystem necessarily limits the size to around 2GB. Often, as observed, the last half-second or so of audio is muted in the 2GB clip. The video goes on, so it's not good to unlink the audio and stretch it just to fill that gap; probably best to cut off that part of the clip and just crossfade to the next.
    However, most current NLE programs that recognize at least AVCHD ver1 are designed to seamlessly stitch together these *.mts clips so that you get back the whole shot that occured between subsequent presses of the camcorder start/stop button. The trick when importing is to drag the entire /BDMV folder, not just individual clips. There are other files and folders in there with information that the NLE program uses to stitch them back accurately, and all gaps will be gone. The new stitched file as it appears now on the project bin will be named after the 1st of the consecutive files (0001.mts, 0002.mts, 0003.mts will be stitched together and named 0001.mts).
    In a camcorder SD card or HDD, you might have shot different programs at different times; the camcorder automatically revises the index.bdm files and others so you probably still have to drag everything into the NLE when importing just to ensure the files are stitched properly. The inconvenience here then is that you have files in the program bin that you do not need. But after comparing exactly which files were stitched from what, then just delete the others.[/QUOTE

Hey turk thanks for the input

i understand what you say but i think i got a problem, when i was done shooting i copied the m2ts files to my pc then i formatted the ms card... so i guess any information in the BDMV folder is gone for good right...??

anyhow, i will put in practice what you said and let's hope it works, just one more thing, what do you mean by NLE programs... is vegas an NLE program???

thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

anyhow, i will put in practice what you said and let's hope it works, just one more thing, what do you mean by NLE programs... is vegas an NLE program???

thanks for the help
    NLE=Non-Linear Editing program

Vegas and Premiere and all their versions are NLE programs.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post

thanks for the help

ok i got it now... silly me...

but you didn't say anything about my other question...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post

thanks for the help

Hey turk

sorry for the late answer...

so i did what you said, i shot a 30m video to make sure i got big long files, then when i tried to drop the folder on the time line in vegas, it won't work... so what am i do ing wrong???

should i open the folder from vegas???

drag and drope???

help help!!!!!! im confused...
    Quote Quote