VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ever since I migrated from WinXP to Win7 my mouse (800 dpi) has been noticeably slower because I use to be able to amp up the speed and/or acceleration via the Logitech Mouseware software, which isn't compatible with Win7. There is no software update that is compatible with Win7 either. Now I tried messing with the mouse settings on Win 7 but configuring the speed to maximum is no where close to the speed (and sensitivity) as it was before when I was on WinXP. The mouse is only used for desktop applications, internet browsing, etc. It will not be used for gaming.

Now I want to upgrade to a better mouse to get faster (and smoother) and more accurate mouse movement, I think I need a mouse that has higher dpi than 800, no?

If so, what mouse should I buy that would be considered "bang for the buck?"

My budget is $15 to $50 USD, relative prices that I have briefly found on Amazon and eBay.

I have also looked into gaming mouses (Razer, Logitech MX, GX, Avatar, MS, etc) but I don't know if these are overkill for my needs or if there are economical options out there that would better suit my situation.

I would like there to be:

1. an middle button/scroll that is easy to click and has hyper-scroll mode
    2. 3 extra programmable/hot buttons that I can use for keyboard commands. (I don't need anymore buttons)
    3. Wired
    4. Laser or optical
    5. a higher DPI than 800? I don't know how much greater in DPI is required to meet my needs.
    5. Noticeably better precision, accuracy and speed than my current mouse
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 12th Sep 2011 at 16:41.
    "A computer is never finished, you just run out of money."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm partial to the logitech gaming mice. especially the g9's i've been using for years now. 5700dpi. but only 2 extra thumb buttons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104261&Tpk=g9x

goes on sale for 49 every now and then.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found a Rosewill for $7.28 after coupon and CB and just ordered it!

It meets all my needs except for 1 and 2.

1 - The absence of hyper scroll is not a deal breaker for me since I very rarely, if ever, have to rapidly scroll through long webpages or documents (I'll settle for using the scroll bar to get precisely where I want to be at.)

2 - As for the apparent inability to program buttons, I'll try X-Mouse Button Control to make assign hot keys and keyboard commands!

Thank you for the suggestion though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After a few days of using the new mouse, I think I'm going to return it within a few weeks. The buttons are too hard to press.

I intend on buying a Logitech this time around (i.e. G500,) unless their is a similar mouse at a more affordable price.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could go to an office supply store and try the floor models to find out if any feel right.

You should look at Microsoft as well as Logitech. Personally, I like Microsoft's wired optical mice. I have been using them for about 10 years, and they seem durable and comfortable. I don't need programmable buttons, so I always buy very basic models, but Microsoft has products geared towards more advanced users too.

These are two of Microsoft's newer products with programmable buttons
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105424
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105425
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if m.s still made a decent intellimouse i might still consider them, but v4 was total crap. moved on to logitech. the g9 and g500 which by the way is on sale at newegg this week. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-26-1...318-_-Homepage
    same laser different shapes. and buttons that never fail. i did wear out the bottom of one g9 on my hard ratpadz surface, but it took years of fps gaming.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use a logitech mouse, model m-u0007 that i found in best buy last year. there's no red (or any) beam like the other ones, not sure what tech'gy they are using to accomplish mouse tracking, but its been very good to me. not sure what dpi it is since i lost the specs, but is especially good for video editing, thanks to its two-function button for wheel action: not sure of the term, but...press once for click-stops, press again for non-stop fluid roll.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the resurrection but I'd like to update this thread if it's OK with the mods.

I have both good and bad news:

Rosewill mouse: Newegg gave me a total refund without fees and let me keep the item because it wasn't worth sending it back due to shipping cost!

Logitech G500: I bought a new one on ebay for $31.50. Weird thing is the seller is from Vietnam with zero feedback but the package came from Newegg. However, it came to me defective. So I sent it to Logitech to have it replaced. Last Thursday they said they would send me an email when they ship the replacement but I haven't heard anything from them. I forgot to ask them if the replacement would be a new or refurbished item. Guess I'll call 'em tomorrow about this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a gearhead laser 3 button scroll mouse from biglots for $7.49
    I couldn't believe XPP couldn't handle 3 button mice but it works fine with X-Mouse Button Control
    Granted I should have probably bought higher-quality to last longer but this cheapo should last a few years like my old logitech
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody mentions a Microsoft mouse. I like them a lot. Very durable. Laptop 3000 optical = $10.

It's an older model, but I don't use the fancy features of the newer ones.

I got off Logitech a long time ago when their "trackball" gunked up and went kaput prematurely. I paid a pretty penny too, sadly.

EDIT: OOPS, some did mention them.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Oct 2011 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I got one of these in black a while back. It was less than US$20 at the time. It's a solid performer but may not have enough buttons for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Mobile-Mouse-4000/dp/B002DPUUKA/

Amazon has other colors but they cost more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I got one of these in black a while back. It was less than US$20 at the time. It's a solid performer but may not have enough buttons for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Mobile-Mouse-4000/dp/B002DPUUKA/

Amazon has other colors but they cost more.
    That's a great price!!! They're $29 at Frys La Palma, I was just there yesterday.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got the new replacement and it works wonderfully!

There is one annoyance however which is that I find it too easy to trigger the left scroll button when I click on the middle button. Not sure if that's another defect but I need to click it more to the right to hit that sweet center spot deadon, yet not too far to the right or it'll hit the right scroll button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine is shiny purple, bottom is black, looks like a beetle bug.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: ebay refunded my money because the seller failed to communicate on working out a solution to offer an exchange! I asked him to give me an exchange (due to the overly sensitive middle button defect as previously described) and all he had to do was go to his email where he bought it from newegg and give me return instructions and return label that newegg sent to him. Then I would have gotten a replacement and he would have still have his money and I have a new working replacement. But he wanted to me to send it to Vietnam instead to give my money back.

The replacement I got was still the same original item but it was 'fixed.'
    Quote Quote