VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there!

So here's my problem:

I've recorded a bunch of material by using fraps on my computer. But when I take it in to Premiere it either get's "boxed" with pillars on the side or just desn't fit at all. I believe this is because I don't know what sequence/export setting I should use.

The footage I have been recording have the resolution of 1680x1050, 60 fps, so I tried to make a custom preset where the output is in the same resolution, but it just looks wierd and doesn't fit all. Also, the quality get's screwed up, I believe that is because I may be using the wrong video codec at the render.

The premade sequence settings that has almost worked perfectly is DVCPROHD 720p60 but I get those black pillars at the side.

Just to make clear
    I am after high quality settings that I can render out and post as 720p on youtube.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5
    The footage I've recorded with fraps are 1680x1050 60fps

Any solution or even an exact preset would be greatly appriciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't use a preset. You can enter custom preset settings to match your footage. 1680x1050 60FPS. This will be a perfect fit as the original footage within premiere when you are editing or exporting (if your export settings match)

But you will get pillarboxing when it youtube re-encodes it . The reason is 1680x1050 isn't 16:9 aspect ratio (1.778) , it is 1.6 which isn't as wide as 1.778
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could edit 1680x1050 first, then use something like Handbreak to reduce size and encode to 1280x720 h264 with mp4 wrapper.

Next time try the monitor and fraps set to 1280x720 60fps to avoid a resize.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. @ Poison yes that was what I thought was going to work, but even if I check "match sequence setting" I still export a low-res video, I have no idea why. I added two screenshots to show more precisely how I set it up.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution1.png
Views:	944
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	8626  

Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution2.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	8627  

Quote Quote  
  5. Because you are exporting 720x480 and DV 24pA. Look at the export settings (your 2nd screenshot , bottom right hand corner) . Not only is it the wrong dimensions, you are exporting the wrong framerate and format (it will have pulldown and look "interlaced" with combing)

If you were to flip to the output preview you would also see this (in your 2nd screenshot, it is on the "source" tab, to the right is the "output" tab)

Don't use match sequence settings. For some reason it's doing it incorrectly. Just select it manually

Most people would use h.264 video, aac audio when uploading to youtube. You also might consider dropping the framerate of the export in 1/2 from 60FPS to 30FPS (youtube only accepts up to 30FPS anyway).

As mentioned earlier, you will get pillarboxing when YT displays it, because it is 1.6 AR content viewed in a 1.778 window size
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Sep 2011 at 19:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Per my previous post

Next time try the monitor and fraps set to 1280x720 60fps to avoid a resize.
    The intention was 60 fps for PC display but you would want to send 1280x720 30p to Youtube.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Poison I just tried what you told me to do and here's the results, it did not end well. I'm not completetly sure if I've missed anything though, sequence settings same as the first picture in my other post

Name:	resolution3.png
Views:	574
Size:	1,004.6 KB
ID:	8636  

Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah that's weird

What does premiere "think" the PAR is of the video asset? (right click the video in the clip bin and use interpret footage and look at the pixel aspect ratio)

In your video previews the default should be MPEG I-frame (not DV 24p in the 1st screenshot), and you don't need MRQ or Maximum Bit Depth for a render preview (uncheckmark those)

Try clearing your media cache in the options, then try re-exporting using those settings
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello
    For 1680x1050 video rendering with Premire pro you have to change the aspect ratio to custom and make it 10:9

Name:	resolution3.png
Views:	644
Size:	941.7 KB
ID:	18814  

Quote Quote