VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    So for football and basketball the interpolate would be best???
    IMO yes.

Do test encodes of basketball action both ways and see what you think.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome. Thanks. Are you upgrading to vegas 11 when it comes out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome. Thanks. Are you upgrading to vegas 11 when it comes out?
    Yes.

Back to deinterlace, I try to avoid using Vegas for deinterlace. The HDTV or Blu-Ray player do a much better job. I keep 1080 60i to the Blu-Ray disk.

1080i to 480i DVD is discussed in the thread I referenced.
    Last edited by edDV; 14th Sep 2011 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You shouldn't be deinterlacing at all. Unless your target output is something where interlaced video isn't supported. Like when uploading video to YouTube.

Regarding hard drives, with DV and HDV the bandwidth requirement is so low that even the slowest of modern drives will have no problems. Even if your input and output files are on the same drive you'll see little difference when converting. This is especially true if your output file is going to be compressed with a high compression codec like MPEG 2, Xvid, or h.264. The encoding time will dwarf the file read/write time and with modern operating systems the disk I/O will be asynchronous -- ie hidden during the other processing. You're talking a few seconds on an hour long encode. About the only time you'll see a significant difference is when copying files. Copying a large file (or a bunch of files) from one place to another on the same drive will be noticeably slower than copying that same file to another drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No interlacing even for SD? Over half the stuff I do will have to be SD because the trades we make to other coaches and even our coaches are just plain DVD. Bluray for trades would be crazy and burning 10 Bluray discs in a night would be too so we burn DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let me simplify this for you.

There is no specific drive requirement for ANYTHING. All you HAVE to have is enough space.

As a general rule, you want to use the C: as little as possible as the OS is constantly causing traffic to that drive.

You need a very fast and very large drive for video capture, and avoiding the OS drive is much more important. Capturing cannot be interrupted by a slow drive or conflicting traffic, other simple file writing can.

Otherwise, there can be a fairly minor speed boost from having the source file on one drive, reading from that, and writing the target file to a different drive. This is again, fairly minor and not a requirement in any way, shape, or form. Everything else is simple file management.

When people ask me questions such as "what directory should I use for my Temp files", I always answer "make a new one and call it Bob"
    "Why should I call it Bob?" Answer "Why the hell should I KNOW what YOU should call the directory for YOUR Temp Files? You could call it Temp, or Tempfiles, or Bob, it makes absolutely no difference as long as YOU know where YOU put YOUR Temp files". Use a drive other than C, as discussed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I call you Bob? Okay, I understand that now. Thanks. I should have no problem but just make sure I have a large drive and a fast one. Any recommendations on the manufacturer of the drive? WD, Hitachi, Samsung? Any specific drive you recommend?

Also for the interlacing question above, anyone care to answer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can I call you Bob? Okay, I understand that now. Thanks. I should have no problem but just make sure I have a large drive and a fast one. Any recommendations on the manufacturer of the drive? WD, Hitachi, Samsung? Any specific drive you recommend?

Also for the interlacing question above, anyone care to answer?
    The differences are small between manufacturers. Get a 7200 RPM 2TB drive (the sweet spot).

Each manufacturer usually has at least three levels.

Premium e.g. WD Caviar Black (7200 RPM)
    Budget e.g. WD Caviar Blue (7200 RPM)

Eco e.g. WD Caviar Green (5400 RPM) <---- not the best for capture
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are the 3TB not quite ready for prime time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No interlacing even for SD? Over half the stuff I do will have to be SD because the trades we make to other coaches and even our coaches are just plain DVD. Bluray for trades would be crazy and burning 10 Bluray discs in a night would be too so we burn DVD.
    We discussed this extensively in your camera thread.

I showed examples of Vegas deinterlace for 1080i to 480i. (poor result)

Didn't we agree you would first cap SD and edit/encode a 480i DVD? (no deinterlace).

The other two options were downsize with AVIsynth filters or downsize with Cineform codec
    Last edited by edDV; 14th Sep 2011 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are expensive at 7200 RPM.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    All DVDs and all TVs fully support interlaced video.

As long as you have a motherboard and OS that support 3TB drives (EFI) you'll be ok. But if you stick with 2TB you won't have trouble swapping drives with older computers, if necessary. I'd stick with two or three 2TB drives. Keep in mind that external USB 2.0 drives are much slower than internal drives and require more CPU resources. With drives so cheap there's no point in getting anything smaller than 2TB. Unless you're looking to cut your boot times by a few seconds, then use a small 10K RPM drive for that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Sep 2011 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Didn't we agree you would first cap SD and edit/encode a 480i DVD? (no deinterlace).

The other two options were downsize with AVIsynth filters or downsize with Cineform codec
    I have slept since then Yes, you are right. So, just basically go in an turn it off is what I should do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I have slept since then Yes, you are right. So, just basically go in an turn it off is what I should do?
    As we left it, you first import SD from the camcorder then do your short term SD edits to DVD (everything DV 720x480i, lower field first).

Later you capture again in HD, then edit your highlight reel, then encode/burn your Blu-Ray disc (everything HDV 1440x1080i, upper field first).

No need to deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it is okay to just shut it off. No deinterlace. Got it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it is okay to just shut it off. No deinterlace. Got it.
    Shut what off?

You still want "interpolate fields" in the project setting for effects filters.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I want it to say interpolate fields. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh. Where is the deinterlace part at? Just when I thought I had a brain I found out that OZ was a fake and didn't give me one.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 14th Sep 2011 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I want it to say interpolate fields. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh. Where is the deinterlace part at? Just when I though I had a brain I found out that OZ was a fake and didn't give me one.
    For a 720x480 60i DV project you import DV, set project to DV wide default (interpolate fields) and render as 720x480 60i DVD Architect MPeg2 template.

Simple cuts will be smart rendered from source files. If you do effects like zoom or rotate, the effects filter will deinterlace the frames used in the effect only. The background video will remain interlace.

The project setting just means "If deinterlace is required, use this method".
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SD and HDV capture.

What about temporary file folder in preferences? Where to?
    DV and HDV are both 25Mb/s (3.5 MB/s) data streams so don't stress the capture drive too much. Just don't do any disk operations on the D drive while capturing.

Uncompressed SD will stress the D drive. Most people use the Huffyuv codec to lower the bit rate.

In Vegas Pro you set the temp folder in project settings.

[Attachment 8641 - Click to enlarge]
    What about Field order with SD- or HDV?

And also check the box for adjust source media to better match project.....

I do have a question about vegas pro as compared to the best vegas other than the pro. I think it is vegas platinum suite or something. I talked to them about this and they said it is basically the same thing with the same engine except that pro can use the cuda from Nvidia. What can you tell me on this?
    I have Pro 9 and need to upgrade but was wondering if for me the platinum suite would be enough. Your take? Thanks.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 14th Sep 2011 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SD and HDV capture.

What about temporary file folder in preferences? Where to?
    DV and HDV are both 25Mb/s (3.5 MB/s) data streams so don't stress the capture drive too much. Just don't do any disk operations on the D drive while capturing.

Uncompressed SD will stress the D drive. Most people use the Huffyuv codec to lower the bit rate.

In Vegas Pro you set the temp folder in project settings.

[Attachment 8641 - Click to enlarge]
    What about Field order with SD- or HDV?
    What about pixel aspect ratio with SD- or HDV?
    DV wide will be lower field first, PAR =1.2121

HDV will be upper field first, PAR = 1.3333

Select the project template as shown. Both will default to "blend fields". Change that to "interpolate fields".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Project_Templates.png
Views:	203
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	8645

DV Wide should look like this

Name:	Project_DV_Wide.png
Views:	210
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	8646

HDV should look like this

Name:	Project_HDV.png
Views:	172
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	8647
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You lost me there. My ignorance is showing. HD 2000?
    The Intel 'Sandy Bridge' processors have built in High Def Graphics processors. The 2XXX series chips have the HD 2000 graphics, the parts with a 'K' suffix have the HD 3000 processors. Many programs that use the GPU to accelerate encoding can use the built in Intel GPUs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. WD Caviar Black.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV what video card would you recommend? I know if you have it that it must be good enough for me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My newest card is an older NVidia Geforce 9800GT but that has been replaced with a gtx 260 or 460/550 or higher.

Basic requirement is "PureVideoHD" decoding for Mpeg2/h.264 playback acceleration.

ATI has a cheaper line with needed "AVIVO-HD" playback acceleration. Others can recommend a model number.

Vegas Pro 11 will have advanced display card GPU acceleration support but they haven't issued a list of cards they will support.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Just about all video cards over US$50 have hardware (DXVA) MPEG 2, h.264, and VC1 decoding now. Including the HD2000 and HD3000 graphics built into the Sandy Bridge CPUs (Intel's first "integrated graphics" that are usable) and the graphics built into the newer "fusion" AMD CPUs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4448/amd-llano-desktop-performance-preview/4
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Sep 2011 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I now need to figure out which one to go with. I still don't want too cheap of one but i don't want to break the bank either. I want something that will work well with vegas pro 11 but they don't have the list out yet. I wonder if they would let me see it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I now need to figure out which one to go with. I still don't want too cheap of one but i don't want to break the bank either. I want something that will work well with vegas pro 11 but they don't have the list out yet. I wonder if they would let me see it
    The other thread says Adobe supports the GTX 285 for GPU acceleration. Also 470/570/580.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would this be overkill? Or would it be just fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133380
    Quote Quote  
  29. A GTX 560 is overkill. For video work you won't be able to tell the difference between that and a card that costs 1/3 as much.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about the playing of bluray on the computer and any video games?
    Quote Quote