VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a canopus advc 50 capture card which is a little older model. I was wondering with a new camcorder HDR-FX7 if I would or should get a new capture device? If so, what is recommended?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Transfer video from the camcorder to the compute via firewire. You will get an exact copy of the digital data on the tape. No capture device needed. If you don't have a firewire port get a PCI or PCIe card with one for US$20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the canopus device which already has a firewire port. I did not know if there was anything better than that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the ADVC50 has a firewire input that is passed through to the firewire input in your computer. You can use that. When you transfer via firewire you get an exact copy of what's on the tape. It doesn't get better than that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, no new device needed. Great. Saved some money there
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HDR-FX7 is HDV so it can't/shouldn't be used with the Canopus. Just hook it up directly to the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't it be hooked up to the canopus? It has firewire. If this is true, is there not a capture device to use?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Vaporeon800 doesn't seem to realize the ADVC50 has a firewire passthrough. I'm pretty sure you can use that for HDV transfer. If not, you can just bypass the ADVC50 and go directly to the computer's firewire input.
    Quote Quote