VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Files from Canon G6 can not be Imported into Pinnacle Studio 14 HD

Ok, Hello!
    I can import analog video ( VHS-C. VCR) into Pinnacle 14 HD til the cows come home with little or no problem.
    What I'm trying to do, is 'IMPORT' video files which are Video clips and saved through my Canon G6 Digital camera as .AVI files. ( lo-res and hi-res) When I open IMPORT in studio, then OTHER DEVICES, then go to my folder on my HDD that has these newest video clips from today's nephew's soccer game, I try to highlight one clip, then CAPTURE, but nothing happens. Only once it allowed me to import a video clip into Studio, but not anymore, regardless of me shutting down the computer and restarting again. if you can tell me Studio 14 HD does not support AVI files, then why can I save make movie files as AVI files?
    I tried these hook up configurations..
    (1) Canon G6 plugged into the USB Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 100, (audio/video cables) and tried to import the video clip that way. and then......
    (2) I tried CF camera memory card into a USB card reader and tried importing that way.
    (3) And finally, I used a USB directly from Canon Camera to Computer and tried to capture that way.

Nothing seemed to work. There's got to be an easier way to be able to import AVI files from camera to STUDIO.

__________________________________________________ _____
    I went into the HELP files in STUDIO, and clicked on "AVI FIES" This is what I saw..

"Although the AVI file type for digital video is itself widely supported, the actual coding and decoding of video and audio data in an AVI file is performed by separate codec software.
    Studio supplies a DV and an MJPEG codec. If you wish to output your movie as an AVI in some other format, you can use any DirectShow-compatible codec installed on your PC, as long as that codec is also installed on the PC that will play your movie."'

****I don't want to OUTPUT my movie into a AVI file, (as the above underlined states) I want to take my existing AVI Video clip (FROM MY DIGITAL CAMERA) and bring it into STUDIO14 HD, to be able to edit, and burn to a DVD, Best Output, or save as an MPEG File. Does this still mean I have to go get another codec encoding software to accomplish this? Seriously? I thought this Pinnacle Studio 14 HD had everything I needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you actually need to use the 'Import' function within Studio.

Just copy the AVI files from the card to your HDD, then just browse to that location in 'Edit' mode
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya JohnP,

Me and my temporary lapse of deductive reasoning. I got it now. This is what I did.

OPENED STUDIO 14
    IMPORT > EDIT > MAKE MOVIE are the three tabs on top.

With the middle Tab EDIT enabled, I went to....

FILE >
    NEW PROJECT >
    SELECT VIDEO FILES FROM FOLDER >
    OPEN SELECTED FOLDER, THEN THAT FOLDER CONTAINING FILES WILL OPEN, I DRAGGED THE WANTED VIDEOS DOWN INTO THE TIMELINE, THEN I CAN EDIT,THEN MAKE MOVIE.

SO I WAS CRAZILY THINKING I COULD IMPORT VIDEO FILES DIRECTLY FROM THE CAMERA, DVC-100 USB, OR FROM A FOLDER WHICH CONTAINED MY VIDEOS, FROM OTHER DEVICES,

BUT THIS WAY GETTING THOSE VIDEO FILES DIRECTLY FROM MY HARD DRIVE AFTER TRANSFERRING FROM DIGITAL CAMERA, SEEMS TO BE FAR EASIER.> because before, I went into my video folder, opened it, then highlighted the selected video(s), then clicked on the START CAPTURE, but nothing happened,

Thanks!
    Last edited by rivrbyte; 11th Sep 2011 at 22:57.
    Quote Quote