VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I 've got a problem which I've not been able to solve for about a year. I have a Samsung Tv with the built in media player, so you can connect a usb stick and play movies directly off of it. It supports mkv, mpeg4, AVC etc etc, all the usual offenders.

My only issue comes with subtitles. I've tried hardcoding and soft coding but not had much success. My TV has a subtitle button on the media section of the remote, so I assume there must be a way of getting the tv to recognise the subtitle file.

Open to try any suggestion, I've tried a couple from lurking on here.

Any help provided would be gratefully received, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I've not gone into depth about what I have tried as it could be a workflow issue rather than a software issue.

Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a PS3, though I've not taken any steps to enable it to work as a media centre.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AAAHHH!!! Done it!!!

The solution was to rename the subs to the same name as the movie file and save them in their own folder on USB!!!

The easiest solutions eh?????
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rosc0PColtrane View Post
    AAAHHH!!! Done it!!!

The solution was to rename the subs to the same name as the movie file and save them in their own folder on USB!!!
    I think you mean to save them in the same folder as the movie file. Many media players have this limitation.

Sorry nobody responded. It's a holiday weekend in the USA, which is where many of our members are from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but you have to ensure the srt file has the same name prefix as the movie file. No worries about the lack of replies, I'd solved it in 20 mins and thought I'd post the answer here should anyone google it and find this place, like I did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rosc0PColtrane View Post
    Yes, but you have to ensure the srt file has the same name prefix as the movie file. No worries about the lack of replies, I'd solved it in 20 mins and thought I'd post the answer here should anyone google it and find this place, like I did.
    Dear colleague, that's what exactly happened one year later after you posted your thread!
    I've just bought a Samsung LED 46ES6550 and I was a kind of desperate trying to view my films through my usb (mkv or avi format) with subtitles, like I used to do with no problem in my PC! Until I found out your post and thanks to your help I could solve my problem and now it works perfectly!!
    The key question is to delete ALSO the final extension (.srt) of the file with the subtitles, so that the name perfectly matches the name of the file with the video.

Thanks from Barcelona!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. No way. If u save a same name in a folder, laptop will ask there are this and this file saved with a same name. then they will put it with number (2)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aliwahyun View Post
    No way. If u save a same name in a folder, laptop will ask there are this and this file saved with a same name. then they will put it with number (2)

worst possible start newbie. first you dig up an old thread, then you give a stupid incorrect answer. the name of the files can be the same because the extensions are different. the video would be something like movie.mp4 and the subs would be movie.srt
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. wow, your reply was. hurm. betten than none. i know what's extension file name is, its just people above here suggest to DELETE the subs extension name which is SRT. and that's what i exactly did. they said to make the file name EXACTLY same. kick me out of this forum, but ive to ask this, so im asking, since this IS a forum, is that even possible ? to save a same name for 2 files in a folder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the experienced among us know what RoscOPColtrane meant. Unfortunately you show up 2 years late taking what he said literally and have decided that this very large and important (do a web search on a video topic and the forums here often come up first) website is filled with idiots who don't know any better but you and you alone can save us from our (non-existent) ignorance. Oh joy. Post #5 actually does explain what he did fairly well - his SRT and video files have the same name before the extension. Post #6 is just crap and that's probably why nobody replied. We really don't like people digging up old posts like #6 did and sometimes it's just not worth the effort to reply and bash them. Unfortunately you took our silence as agreement. Bad assumption.

It's supposed to be theoretically impossible for 2 files with the EXACT same name to live in the same directory. However, I think I have seen this before on Linux or Unix systems and it was a mistake when it happened. If the files have different inodes I could see how this might be possible, but the method of creating this would be rather convoluted and would likely be done by mistake rather than deliberately. The numbering you talk about such as (2) is how Windows handles the situation. Other operation systems may not necessarily do this, although OSX does too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    2 files with the exact name including extension can live in the same windows folder-recycle bin folder.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry if Im being bold. Ok I get it. So, all my movie files actually just like what you guys said. furthermore, having the same prefix name b4 the ext is one of the way for the subs to automatically played when movie is played, in latptop/pc. So i guess, it's either my TV or the drive is problem. idk. anyway, thanks for replying. never had anyone in other forum reply to my post. Guess I talk crap too much. Don't even understand what I said myself. thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some players will only show srt subs when they are muxed into the video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. hello, my problem is that when i watch a movie, the subtitles are up for 10 minutes, then they go off and 10 minutes before the end they come up again...

can someone help me please?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by salonikia3 View Post
    hello, my problem is that when i watch a movie, the subtitles are up for 10 minutes, then they go off and 10 minutes before the end they come up again...

can someone help me please?
    It will be difficult to answer your without more information. What TV (brand and model)? What file format is this (flv, avi, mkv, etc)? What is the video format (mpeg-2, h.264, xivid, divx, etc.). What is the subtitle format (srt, ass, sub, sup, etc.)?
    Quote Quote  
  16. sorry for that...

It is a Samsung Tv model LE32C450E1W, the video file is avi and mp4 and the subtitles are .srt!!

thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If a software media player plays the subtitles correctly, then the only reason I can think of for the subtitles to display incorrectly on your TV is that there is a mismatch between the character set used for the subtitles and the one the TV supports. Unfortunately I can't find information about the supported subtitle character sets in your TV's English manual, so I have no idea how to fix your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  18. the funny thing is that subtitles work perfect with the vlc on my pc but in the tv they come up only on the first and last 10 minutes...

it's quite strange!!!

thanks though!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Everybody
    I share my problem to see if someone may have had the same issue and can help to solve it.
    I bought a Samsung ue32f5000 aw and does not recognize the sub file regardless if it is srt. or sub. The sub file has the same name like the movie file do and they are in the same folder. Any suggestion I should try?
    Thanks fam!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The question is how do you put more than 2 subtitles on the disk? i.e. one in french and one in English so you can chose from the tools?

Cant rename 2 .srt files as exactly the same obviously.
    Quote Quote