VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am making a DVD of an event. I want a strictly music track. The DVD will be about feature length. I have picked out several public domain classical tracks that I would like to combine into the audio track. I need a software that can take wav files and cut them, connect them, and edit them against a video track. So in other words, I would like to see the video track as I am editing the music track so that it can closely match the action of the video. After the track is edited, I would like to be able to convert it to a AC3 file.

I have been looking on line most of the day but I can't tell if such a software exists. Does anyone know of a software out there that can do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at Goldwave or Reaper.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 3rd Sep 2011 at 08:22.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neither of these allow you to see the video track while you edit. That is what I need.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by fred3f View Post
    Neither of these allow you to see the video track while you edit. That is what I need.

I don't know about Goldwave, but Reaper will
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by fred3f View Post
    I have been looking on line most of the day but I can't tell if such a software exists. Does anyone know of a software out there that can do this?
    Basically all non linear video editing software can do this . Look in the tools section under video editors

e.g. sony vegas, premiere pro, fincal cut pro (mac)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fred3f View Post
    I have picked out several public domain classical tracks that I would like to combine into the audio track.
    Be aware that, just because there's no copyright on the music itself, there may be a copyright on the performance of the music. If the performance has been placed into the public domain, you're OK. But if it's stuff that you've pulled off a commercial CD, then you've got a problem. Many people think that classical music is in the public domain so they can do whatever they want. If so, and you are doing this for sale, you may have a problem.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Basically all non linear video editing software can do this . Look in the tools section under video editors

Thanks for the suggestion but this is non commercial and so I was looking for something priced considerably south of $600. More like $25 or $35. Are you aware of any programs like that in that price range?

Originally Posted by chowmein
    I don't know about Goldwave, but Reaper will
    I downloaded a trial version of Reaper, and without spending the day figuring out how it works, it appears that there is some kind of video window but I can't figure out if it is just playback after you have done the editing or if you can use it and sync it while editing. I got the window to come up but could not figure how to load a video into it. It looks more like the a preview option and not not something that would be helpful during editing. Do you have any experience with this? I would hate to take hours investigating this only to find out that it can't do the job, which I have done several times already.

Originally Posted by Steve Stepoway
    Be aware that, just because there's no copyright on the music itself, there may be a copyright on the performance of the music.
    Re copyright, this is all stuff that is performed by friends who have no problem with me using it, and of course the actual composition is in the public domain.

All of which still leaves me without a program. I have thought of using VirtualDub, but there is so much it can't do so I was hoping for something better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fred3f View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Thanks for the suggestion but this is non commercial and so I was looking for something priced considerably south of $600. More like $25 or $35. Are you aware of any programs like that in that price range?
    maybe vegas studio platinum , but it's more like ~$100

There are some free NLE's , but they usually have issues. You can try lightworks beta, vlmc , videospin, blender 's VSE, videopad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT - I do see now at the end of your post you will be converting to an AC3 file. Please disregard this post for your needs. I'll just leave this up here for those who don't know.

Just remember that digital files like mp3, wma and aac can't be used directly for dvds. Though I'm sure 99% of the dvd authoring programs will let you import mp3 (and etc) audio (for later conversion prior to final authoring) it is not in the dvd specs. Wav audio should work across the board on all programs as long as its 48khz otherwise there will be conversion needed - though again most should do it themsleves just a heads up on the technicality of it.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Audio:
    48000 Hz
    32 - 1536 kbps
    Up to 8 audio tracks containing Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have MPEG-1, DD or PCM Audio.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would not hesitate to download trial version of that Vegas Studio Platinum, 1 month for free
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiope
    originally it was audio software, video came later on, to edit audio is very pleasant within Vegas
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might be able to find a copy of Vegas Movie Studio 10 for cheap, now that version 11 recently came out. Several weeks ago I saw it for something like $50. Sorry, but I'm not sure where (might have been Amazon).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Steve Stepoway, I put in an order for Vegas 10 at Buy.com. $50 and change including shipping. They only deliver by snail, so to wait for arrival. Kind of like the old days with waiting for software to arrive in the mail. Hopefully it will do the trick. Meanwhile I will do the 1 month trial suggested by _Al_. Thanks folks for the help. I will get back with results later.
    Last edited by fred3f; 15th Sep 2011 at 06:38.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum to do what I wanted. Understanding that it is not the full featured $600 program I saw two flaws that I thought should have been corrected. It would not import a m2v file and it does not support subtitles. There are work-arounds for this. I simply used a Mpg2 file with a blank sound track for the video and I didn't need a subtitle track but I can imagine that one could create a subtitle track in subtitle workshop and then add it in with various tools, but it would have been nice if it had handled these things. However, the program did do the job of allowing me to create and edit a sound track that matched the video. It was not too difficult to learn although I would have to work with it more to really be comfortable with it. The resulting video was quite a success among my limited audience.
    Last edited by fred3f; 15th Sep 2011 at 07:01.
    Quote Quote