VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am hoping since this is a support sight directly for this kind of thing that this can be sorted

I recently invested in a HD PVR and set it up on 1280 x 720 and it shows my xboxs screen fine no cutting what so ever.
    it also records a mp4 fine as well.

As you can see on this screenshot the video is 1280 x 720 and there is not cutting at all

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...xampleone.png/

However when i import the video into Sony vegas for some reason the video is reduced to 720 x 480 and in the preview a good 3/4 of the video has been cut off to the point were only the top left of the video which is the radar in this case can be seen.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/example2a.png/

I have also rendered said video and it has been cut off. The reason i use sony vegas is to combine the video and a commentary of the lets play from audacity.

I have looked over the internet for the fix for this which has included turning off the keeping set ratio which gets rid of the black boards but does not fix the problem of 3/4 of the video being cut off.

Is this a common problem with Vegas and should i buy another editing software instead?

Sorry to double post but i seemed to have figured it out I needed to change it from Mp4 recording to M2TS then use the built in converter to change that to a mp4 which set it as 1280 X 720. I am rendering now hopefully all is well

Sorry to post again but i can't seem to see a edit option for my posts. I used the HD PVR built in converter called Media converter 4 platium and it has as ive said converted into a 1280 x 720 mp4 file..but with no sound?..Im really lost on what to do
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The first screenshot link does not work and your vegas screenshot is kinda small.

I guess you have tried google hauppauge hd pvr and import vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Change your vegas project settings to 1280x720

When you use the default settings, the timeline will be NTSC DV 720x480

You should also match the other properties (FPS) to whatever your source file characteristics are. The PAR of 1280x720 is usually square pixel (1:1)

You export settings need to be adjusted to match as well (i.e make sure they are set at 1280x720, square pixel)

You need to provide more information on the file chacteristics and settings used if you want more specific help
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd Sep 2011 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have fixed the resolution problems now but when i render the file it is rendering with No sound. as i said it is M2TS file that i then used Format factory to convert to mp4 but for some reason when its converted it loses sound. Ive been searching the internet roughly six hours now with no success.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If someone was willing to skype i could share my screen and describe the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. did you lose the sound from format factory or sony vegas? use mediainfo (view=>text) on the file . (i.e is there audio there, but only sony vegas can't "see" it, or did format factory botch the audio)?

I think if you record in transport stream and AC3 audio, sony vegas should accept it natively without conversions if you use 9 or 10 (I think HDPVR has option to output either .mp4 or .ts , aac or ac3 audio)

Are you copying the streams and re-wrapping or re-encoding ? You lose quality if you re-encode using lossy format
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok i think ive fixed it by changing some options in Format factory thank you for the quick responses
    Quote Quote  
  8. It does seem to have lost quality when recoding from M2TS to mp4 for use in sony vegas 10 but if i try importing M2TS to sony vegas it seems to crash out?

I used Format factory to convert from M2TS to Mp4 due to for some reason in mp4 format it records it in 720 x480 instead of 1280 x 720...alot of this is confusing to me Im very new to the whole editing scene
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you were not careful , you might be re-encoding the file (not copying the streams), this causes quality loss . Ideally what you want to do is copy the streams into a different container . You want to avoid conversions at all if possible, not only does it waste time, you might be degrading the quality each time

1) Are you saying you can't get the HDPVR to record 1280x720 in mp4 container? Have you checked firmware versions or the Hauppage support forum for updates ?

2) Exactly what format did you record ? use mediainfo (view=>text) and copy & paste the text results here

If you used AAC audio, I believe the HDPVR records a non standard AAC format. It needs the header re-arranged for maximum compatibility with other programs (like vegas)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok Sorry to keep being confusing but now. its fine to record the video in M2TS format I get both sound and video clearly and very very good quality however when i try to import it into Sony vegas pro 10 it crashes. My HD PVR is up to date and according to my searchs on the web M2TS is the best format to work with when editing?

If you are willing posion i would very much like to skype so i can show you my problems because due to the fact I have little to no experience in this area most of the things you talk about I have no clue..like streams?.

The thing with the HD PVR is it records fine in 1280 x 720 mp4 format but when its put into Sony vegas it is at 720 x 480 format and only the top left of the video is there. Now ive been told to change settings and ive tried my best over the past 5 hours now to try to get things working with no success. I then tried M2TS format by setting it to PS3 setting while recording my xbox but now sony vegas crashes when i try to import said file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. yes, m2ts transport stream is usually the best to edit in for editors, including vegas . AC3 audio usually gives the most compatibility/ least issues

is there an error message or crash log ?

If you used aac audio, then it is possible to use mp4 in vegas, but it needs to be specially prepared. The audio recorded by HDPVR is non-standard

Again, exactly what format are you recording in use mediainfo (view=>text ) copy & paste the results .

You can try re-wrapping it into another container with tsmuxer (just copies the streams, no quality loss)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am going to be using M2TS from now on as searchs seems to suggest its the best to edit with as you have said as well however the problem still stands that Sony vegas crashes when i try to import this file. What i need help with now is to fix sony vegas from crashing?

This is what Media info said

General
    ID : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name : D:\Recordings\2011_9_2_18_17_4.M2TS
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 440 MiB
    Duration : 4mn 28s
    Overall bit rate : 13.8 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 12.7 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 59.940 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.230
    Stream size : 406 MiB (92%)
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -50ms
    Stream size : 12.3 MiB (3%)

and Tsmuxer said some tracks not recognized and ignored
    Quote Quote  
  13. i don't use skype

what kind of crash? does it shut down completely? usually when vegas crashes there is a debug log

what tracks do you see in the tsmuxer window ? do you see audio & video tracks, or only video? or only audio? or none ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Vegas freezes were the only thing i can do is crtl alt delete and close it.

and all Tsmuxer shows is this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/blehm.png/ which im not toally sure if its even split it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. yeah that's weird

I'm playing with some HDPVR streams with almost the exact same specs right now in vegas, no problems . And tsmuxer "sees" audio and video, but in your screenshot it is missing the audio stream

Did you try re-booting windows, restarting vegas ?

I don't have it anymore, but I used to have a 1st gen HDPVR - maybe there is something different in the transport stream or something the recent firmware did to cause incompatibily issues? The difference in tsmuxer that we are getting would suggest something has changed

Can you do a quick test? record a few seconds using the same settings, and upload the clip either here (if <30MB) or a free hosting site (e.g. mediafire.com)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry you want me to do a short video in M2TS format?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Nycozi View Post
    Sorry you want me to do a short video in M2TS format?
    yes

I think something is different between the "old" HDPVR and whatever firmware or changes are being used now . That's probably what's causing the crashing. The difference that we are getting in tsmuxer results certain suggest that something is not quite right with the files you are recording

Can you play the recorded file in say, VLC, or MPCHC ok ? or does it crash there too ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I will do the recording in a few moments how ever i can play the M2TS file in VLC with No problems what so ever it has sound and no lag but as soon as i try to load it up in vegas it crashes
    Quote Quote  
  19. It 's not crashing for me in vegas, but I can reproduce the tsmuxer results . So something is different about these recently recorded streams

Did you try rebooting, or reinstalling vegas?

You might be able to re-wrap with ffmpeg or ffmbc . When I do this, tsmuxer now "sees" the audio . Eitherway I can't get vegas to crash here (I tried on Vegas Pro 9 - I uninstalled 10 because I had some issues with it)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Out of curiousity I had a little play with the file linked above.

Playback was ok in MPC-HC and VLC. Vegas 10 imported the file but froze when I tried to play it on the timeline. Premiere Pro 5.5 was able to the play the file on the timeline ok and also export a section of the file.

Vegas reported the file as being 119.880fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Record as .mp4 w/ac3 audio. 5Mb bitrate is good enough.
    Quote Quote  
  22. So its not just me that seems to have trouble with Vegas 10 ill try version 9 of it
    Quote Quote  
  23. Premiere works ok here as well, same as Munster reported

But Vegas Pro 9 reports the incorrect fps as well... and you cannot interpret the footage fps , it seems greyed out

The other option is to re-encode to some digital intermediate for editing e.g. cineform, or maybe high bitrate I-frame mpeg2
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok so i should try adobe i want to avoid encoders if i can as like you said the qualitiy suffers.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Quality only suffers if you use a lossy codec and insufficient bitrate

You can use a lossless codec or a high bitrate visually lossless codecs like cineform or dnxhd are very close to lossless (only if you pixel peep and zoom in on individual frames can you see the differences) . They are also many times larger (higher bitrate) than what you have now

But there is something peculiar about these streams that is causing vegas to "barf" . The old HD PVR streams work fine in vegas
    Quote Quote  
  26. I know its weird cause I couldn't really find solutions as it didn't seem to exist on the net
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nycozi View Post
    So its not just me that seems to have trouble with Vegas 10 ill try version 9 of it
    Vegas is Vegas. If it does for one it does for all. The unknown variables here are your file and who knows what kind of codec or Windows issues you may have.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ok so Im downloading Dnxhd? is it still ok to use format factory or is there a better convertor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ...there is something peculiar about these streams that is causing vegas to "barf" . The old HD PVR streams work fine in vegas
    My HD-PVR recordings work fine. I wonder if the OP has unwittingly introduced an anomaly via custom settings.
    Quote Quote