VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    I have several mp4 files, and I need to join them in one, without reenconding and loosing quality.
    These mp4 files have been rendered perfectly in SONY VEGAS, these files, make a whole video file that was rendered in several parts.
    Why rendering in several parts? because it is a HD project, it is long and I get the Out of Memory Error.
    The solution I've found was rendering the project in separate pieces.
    Of course, I did regions in SONY VEGAS assuring that if the first video begin at frame 0 and end in the frame 2500 (for example) the second video (mp4 file) of course, has to begin at frame 2501... to assure there is no frame lost among the videos.
    Okay, now I need to join them, into just 1 video file.
    And I need to do this perfectly, and without reeconding.
    I have found an utility, but its quality is very poor, its name is Avidemux. It is an Open Source program, that allows you to join files.
    The problem I find with this software is it doesn't do properly its task.
    For example...
    If I have the file video1.mp4 (starting at frame 0 and ending at frame 2500)
    and I want to join this file...
    with the file... video2.mp4
    what happens is the last frame from the previous file (video1.mp4) is repeated 10 or 12 times !!!!
    so the frame 2500 will be repeated in the 2501,2502,2503...until...2512...
    what happens with this?
    well, when you join the videos, you see clearly a cut among each video you joined (a frozen frame among the joined videos that stills some milliseconds, because when joining, it repeated the frame, from the previous video, several times).
    This software (avidemux) don't work at all.
    So I need a software that do this task perfectly, without those problems of repeating frames, and without reenconding, to avoid lose quality.
    Could you suggest me any software to do this please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried any mp4box frontend? Like mymp4boxgui?
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, I did not try yet mymp4boxgui? is it very difficult to use? have you tried it to join videos? do the task fine?
    Please, let me know, I'm searching desperately a tool that do this task fine.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No it's not difficult. BUT it may not work. Joining some mp4s can be very tricky.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This software join the videos without re-enconding them? that's important, because I don't want to lose quality.
    Do you have any little manual to join videos with it?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. yup mp4box can only join without re-encoding, but the audio&video formats need to be the same for it to work. i.e. you can't simple join (mpeg-4 asp + mp3) and (Mpeg-4 avc + aac) material or material with different audio channel count of different resolutions into a single file.
    mymp4box should be easy enough to understand without a manual,..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, tried it with 2 mp4 files and don't work at all.
    The worst result ever.
    The resulted file is corrupted, not all media players can play it, and repeat more than 10 seconds of frames !!!!!
    This utility don't work at all.
    I cannot beleive that joining 2 files could be so impossible to do.
    There is any utility? any? just to join two files perfectly? all the utilities do this wrong?
    Amazing...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you make a short clip? So we can try.

You could also try latest videoredo with h264 mp4 support, see http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=24328
    Quote Quote  
  9. best not just one but two samples of clips you can't join properly might be a good idea.

An analysis wit mediainfo --Full and/or mp4box -info of such un-mergeable files might also help.
    Normally merging to files with mp4box is straight forward ([i]mp4box -cat Video1.mp4 -cat Video2.mp4 -out NewVideo.mp4) and to my experience mp4box does not mess up unless one causes it to merge incompatible files,... (i.e. different resolutions, audio stettings, material encoded with different buffer size settings and similiar)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  10. Videoredo don't work also. It simply cannot open my mp4 file. MP4 is among the supported formats from videoredo... but it's clear this editor don't work also, because it simply fails when opening a mp4 file, so I cannot use it.
    Any other idea or tool I could use to join mp4?
    A thing that should be extremely simple, seems to be impossible...
    Quote Quote  
  11. sound more like your sony vegas version produces non-standard mp4 files,...
    without detailed infos or samples, there's no way to give decent advice,.. so it's up to guessing

ffmpeg&mencoder both support a lot of non-standard stuff one can theoretically to the mp4 container, so ffmpeg and mencoder might be worth a try,..
    mp4creator might also work,..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello
    I'm giving you the exact details of the codec... this information is provided by Mediainfo software.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\pc\Desktop\RENDER1.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 89,8MB
    Duration : 53seg.
    Overall bit rate : 14,0Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-08-30 10:27:56
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-08-30 10:27:56

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 53seg.
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 14,0Mbps
    Width : 1 280pixeles
    Height : 720pixeles
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29,970fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.505
    Stream size : 89,8MB (100%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-08-30 10:27:56
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-08-30 10:27:56

Hope this informationg can help?
    Any advice about the proper software for this?

I just need to join the videos easily, and without repeated frames.

Any software that can do this task properly?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Another option is to render out uncompressed or a lossless format (e.g. lagarith, huffyuv, ut video codec), then join that before encoding. Vegas' AVC encoder is garbage anyway (both of them)

Like selur says, if the files are made properly they should join easily in mp4box (yamb). There is probably a problem with the exported files

You can try mp4muxer (I believe its the same as mp4creator suggested above)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Okay, something is definitely fishy with that file (does the second file you want to merge have the same characteristics?):
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    -> this would be MS-MPEG4 which is not MPEG-4 ASP or AVC standard conform (never was, never will be)

Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    ->this would indicate MPEG-4 AVC, Main@L3.1

I guess that mp4box and a lot of other tools get a bit confused by it.

Any advice about the proper software for this?
    -> "ffmpeg&mencoder both support a lot of non-standard stuff one can theoretically to the mp4 container, so ffmpeg and mencoder might be worth a try,..
    mp4creator might also work,.. "
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi all, sorry for my late reply
    Selur, yes the same file has exactly the same characteristics, exactly the same.
    I'll be trying mp4 creator and reporting back the results.
    As regards to ffmpeg seems to be a bit complex, it's a command line tool, but perhaps it is very powerful.
    So the killer's question is... what commands should I use to add 2 files? I saw the command list, and I did not find them. Also, this tool do this without re-encoding?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by daniel827; 6th Sep 2011 at 18:08.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Okay... seems to be I need a bit of help with mp4creator or this tool also don't work?
    I am adding files to the tab Multiplex... just pressing Add... then I select H264 from the menu and I type *.* press intro, so I get a list of all my mp4 files, and I select the file RENDER1
    Then I do the same with the next file RENDER 2
    Below in destination... I type the name of the file I want to create for example MYFINALRENDER.MP4
    Then I press Multiplex...
    And I get a very little file of 180 kb... said that the multiplexing was done successfully and I cannot play any video in the final file, because it has the size in bytes of a photograph...
    Seems to be I am doing something wrong here?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Another option is to render out uncompressed or a lossless format (e.g. lagarith, huffyuv, ut video codec), then join that before encoding. Vegas' AVC encoder is garbage anyway (both of them)

Like selur says, if the files are made properly they should join easily in mp4box (yamb). There is probably a problem with the exported files

You can try mp4muxer (I believe its the same as mp4creator suggested above)
    I tried also to render parts of the video without compression, but I did not find the formats you mentioned here.
    I just rendered it as AVI lossless, and I did a clip of just 1 minute with an insane size! 7 GB !!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you suggesting me to create clips like this one and then joining them in 1?
    The final file for a project of 1 hour would be more than insane, would be impossible to achieve...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Seems to be, a simple task as joining two files it's impossible to accomplish, is quite strange there are no softwares available to do this properly, without cuts or jumps...
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It has always been a problem. With all video formats/containers.

I would rather try find a solution to save as one complete video in vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It has always been a problem. With all video formats/containers.

I would rather try find a solution to save as one complete video in vegas.
    But how do I solve the out of memory error?
    That's the problem... when you are doing videos in HD and are long... boom you fry the PC
    Quote Quote  
  21. Seems to be is impossible then.
    Ok
    Quote Quote