VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

In the past month until now i've been learning about adding a new subtitle to an existing DVD (Complete with menus, chapters, existing subs, extras, warnings, etc.), and now i finally understand how to do that with some guides from videohelp (thanks videohelp). But now i'm facing a problem with menu when i've added subtitles to a purely DVD movie (movie only), let's say DVD R5 ISO (doesn't have menus, subs, extras, etc.)

I've been able to add subtitles to the R5 DVD, but when i want to add setup menu for sub to the DVD with PGCEdit (already created a button), i cannot find the command to set the desired subtitle. So i can only set the new subs with replacing the existing button from the DVD which already has subs (with VOBBlanker - even though i cannot rename the right title for my subtitle, but it's still okay).

I read a guide from another site and i quoted a sentence from there

If you you are adding subtitles to a DVD for the first time (the DVD did not already have subtitles), or if you are changing the number of subtitle tracks, then you have to enable the new subtitles.
    I still have no idea about the quote said "enable the new subtitles", can you guys please help me with this? Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like something I wrote. Since your DVD doesn't have any menu, I don't suppose you're doing the 'Replace' step using VobBlanker as there's nothing to replace. And since the subs are already recognized and working, nothing has to be enabled.

As for creating a command when you click on your new subtitle button, you create an STN command. The easiest way to do that is using PGCEdit. I don't feel like creating a new button with which to test. But, after opening the DVD in PGCEdit, right-click on the menu with your new button and hit 'Menu Buttons'. Have you already set it up to go to the other buttons depending on what you hit on the remote control? And have you made it possible to get to the new button from the other buttons? If yes, highlight the button (turn it green) and do a 'Jump To Target' on the default command PGCEdit gives you, 'Link Tail PGC'. In the new screen, create a new Set STN command. First create a NOP (highlight the 'pre commands' at the top and right-click on it and 'Add After'. Double-click on the new NOP line and go Alphabetically->Set STN in the new Command Editor window. In the new window go Subpicture->Set to '0'->On. OK back to the main window, save your work and test in a software DVD player. If you mess up you can restore the backup and go back to where you started.

If there aren't any subs after testing, highlight the movie itself and hit the green reel of film among the icons at the top and confirm that PGCEdit sees the subtitles. Also, me, I wouldn't mess around with bothering to create a menu for this if the subs are always to be played. Why else even add them to the movie? I'd follow the same as when you added a command for the menu, but this time do it to the movie itself. That way, whenever the movie starts, the subs will play automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi manono, that's the weird thing about PGCEdit, it's a cool apps but it's also difficult to use for a noob like me, thanks for your guide, i'll try it. Anyway yeah that's right why bother to create menu for subs if it can be played already, but it's kinda cool if you have a DVD movie that has every menu for navigation right? Like a real professional DVD movie besides i'm currently feel excited about DVD authoring because i just started playing with it.
    Quote Quote