VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My HD camcorder comes with software that can burn AVCHD discs. I will most likely be using BD media to burn my videos to. What would I be losing or gaining by creating AVCHD discs instead of Blu-ray compliant discs. Which is the better choice? Are the burnt m2ts files in these two formats virtually identical or is there any editing done to them by the authoring software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Short answer, for your purposes: Virtually identical, the main difference being allowable bitrate, AVCHD having a lower max bitrate than Blu-Ray. The term AVCHD commonly implies burning to DVDR, but you can burn to BDR just as well. Or put it on other various storage media. Not all standalone players will play AVCHDs, but that's more a matter of firmware not recognizing the file structure when put on a DVDR.

If your software gives you the choice, author to Blu-Ray, since you'll burn to BDRs anyway.

And welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, AVCHD disc is all about fitting to DVDR-5/9 media. But when you go BD you have upped the game a level. At minimum you need a BD drive and drivers.

Which BD record drive do you have?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. My BD burner is LG WH10LS30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gibbus View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My BD burner is LG WH10LS30.
    I've got a LG 10LS30 as well. So I'm concurrent with fritzi93.

I don't know anything about your authoring software. But MultiAVCHD+ ImageBurn will work.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried MultiAVCHD but it is rather complicated with way too many options. When creating a BD compilation it encountered errors while doing the menu. Is there any other tool that is less complicated and that would create a simple menu and would be less buggy?
    The software included with my Panasonic SD90 camcorder is HD Writer AE 3.0 but it can only create AVCHD compilations, not Blu-ray ones...
    Quote Quote