VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings

I have bought a new laptop loaded with Windows 7 starter, and see that to run xp mode I need windows 7 professional which I will get.

QUESTION -- Will the Classic Windows Explorer (Just Explorer, not Internet Explorer) run in the XP mode AS the XP version and NOT AS the 7 version???

I'm asking for the most obvious reason - 7's Windows Explorer is frustrating the hell out of me!!!

If the answer is no, suggest alternatives.

Thanx-A-Lot (But Not To 7's Software Team, who do a great job of making users like me go nuts),
    Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 27th Aug 2011 at 16:18.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can run it windowed, in which chase you'll have two Start bars, the regular Win7 start bat and a Windows with XP's Start bar. You'll have two Versions of Explorer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	windowed.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	8375

You can run it full screen, in which you only see the XP Start bar. Win7' Start bar and Explorer is still there if you switch back to Win7.

Or you can run it in integrated mode, where you don't see the XP Start bar but individual applications appear on the Win7 Desktop and are started via the Win7 Start bar. In this mode you don't normally see XP's Explorer. But I think you can add it to Win7's Start bar.

You can't completely replace the Win7 Start bar and Explorer with XP's Start bar and Explorer with XP Mode. Maybe you should be looking at XP theme's for Win7:

http://techie-buzz.com/featured/download-windows-xp-theme-for-windows-7.html
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Aug 2011 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Similar to running XP on a Mac.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

I have been advised to try such apps as Xplorer2, CubicExplorer and Far Manager. I'll do so when able.

Regarding use of Windows XP Mode under Win-7, I assume there's no problem with installing certain applications in BOTH the regular Win-7 and Win-XP environments.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Regarding use of Windows XP Mode under Win-7, I assume there's no problem with installing certain applications in BOTH the regular Win-7 and Win-XP environments.
    As long as both environments are capable of running the apps there's no problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Thanks Jagabo -- That's what I thought.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Quote Quote  
  7. Classic Shell rocks.
    Quote Quote