VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, Nice to meet you! I'm SO newby to this.... Here's the thing: My old DVD player died so I bought a new one (Samsung BD-D5300). Now I find out that not only will my old DVDs not play, but that the .AVIs that they were made from wont play via USB. Ive tried converting the original AVIs to MKV ("file format not recognised") and MP4 (looked exactly the same - a monochrome screen with 4 lots of image jiggling about). Samsung tell me its a codec thing but that I cant install old codecs. Someone has suggested is a PAL/NTSC thing (?). Someone must have come across this problem before and solved it - what should I do? Thanks T.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it support standard avi with divx?
    Can you post the details from the avis that wont work? Use mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does it support standard avi with divx? I think so ....... Can you post the details from the avis that wont work? Here's one of them: Its the AVI that was used to make the DVD using an old version of ConvertXtoDVD. Ive since found out that the trial version of the new ConvertXtoDVD creates a DVD that will play, but I dont know why...... General Complete name : I:\Videos\Ikiru\1952 - Ikiru.Akira.Kurosawa.1952.DVDRip.XviD.avi Format : AVI Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave File size : 700 MiB Duration : 2h 23mn Overall bit rate : 684 Kbps Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2439/release) Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2439/release Video ID : 0 Format : MPEG-4 Visual Format profile : Simple@L3 Format settings, BVOP : 1 Format settings, QPel : No Format settings, GMC : No warppoints Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263) Codec ID : XVID Codec ID/Hint : XviD Duration : 2h 23mn Bit rate : 552 Kbps Width : 512 pixels Height : 384 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4:3 Frame rate : 23.976 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.117 Stream size : 565 MiB (81%) Writing library : XviD 1.0.3 (UTC 2004-12-20) Audio ID : 1 Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 3 Mode : Dual mono Codec ID : 55 Codec ID/Hint : MP3 Duration : 2h 23mn Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 120 Kbps Nominal bit rate : 128 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 123 MiB (17%) Alignment : Aligned on interleaves Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame) Interleave, preload duration : 153 ms Writing library : LAME3.96r Encoding settings : -m d -V 4 -q 3 -lowpass 17.5 --abr 128 None of this means much to me.... Thanks for your help T.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On page 13 of the product manual it mentions all the formats that should work from the USB.
    Have you tried this? A quick glance shows that it accepts all of the common types, avi & mkv, xvid/divx/H264,
    mp4/aac, etc,etc.

Regarding frame rate, the manual says it works with any thing under 30fps.

The file above looks like a typical internet download and should play without problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help
    Strange....
    Ive found another old DVD that actually plays. I'll run Mediainfo over it and see if I can find any differences....
    Cheers
    T.
    Quote Quote