VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i would like to know how to install windows 7 O.S on new internal Hard disk & make a partition ? i plan to replace 160GB HDD on my acer verition with 500GB HDD. if you have any idea please suggest me.thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Install new hard disk
    2. Turn on computer
    3. Put Win 7 disk into computers DVD drive
    4. Follow on screen promps
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    1. Install new hard disk
    2. Turn on computer
    3. Put Win 7 disk into computers DVD drive
    4. Follow on screen promps
    Thank u very much for info.but how to partition a drive any idea?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can make partitions in the Windows installer but it doesn't have much flexibility. I use a GParted Live CD. Boot from the CD and you can use the partitioning tools to layout your drive however you want. Then boot the Windows CD and use the existing partition structure. Keep in mind you can make up to 4 primary partitions on one disk. You can other wise make up to 3 primary partitions and then an extended partition which can hold as many logical partitions as you like.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many new drives come with CD that has tools to add new drive including partition, format, etc. Those tools are available from drive manufacturer site if no CD came with drive. Once partitioned and formatted the way you want, install Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hiren Boot CD. Have some partitions tools (freeware)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, you could take the most fundamental, underlying structure that you have control over, and you could choose to make it MORE COMPLICATED, and you could choose to use tools that are not part of the OPERATING SYSTEM, that would be one way to go.

OR, you could choose to make that extremely important, Fundamental, underlying structure as simple as possible, and use the tools BUILT-IN to the desired operating system to do it.

ANY PC that passes thru my hands, the second option is the ONLY ACCEPTABLE ONE.

The install disk will create the only needed partition, there is no need for other software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree. Unless you need some complex partitioning, just boot the Win7 DVD and let it partition and format the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank u very much 'Kbee,nelson,bevills,poppa meth & jagabo for your support. This worked for me. im extremly sorry i didnt mention you one thing, the 160 GB internal Hard disk already had a partition of C & D, i purchased 1 TB seagate Internal HDD coz 500 GB was not available in store. so this worked for me.

1.Using driver Genius pro i made a back up of all drivers 160 GB HDD to 1 TB WD external HDD.
    2.Formatted this internal hard disk using windows 7 Home
    3.Restored the drivers.
    4.Created a system image & System recovery disk.
    5.Fixed the new 1TB seagate HDD
    6 Booted the computer using F12
    7.Restored system image
    8.under disk management i used EXTEND VOLUME for D drive.

Microsoft's strict control over windows 7 product key which i think can be used only once for a specific PC gave me an idea to create system image.

Once again thank you very much for your suggestions friends i appreciate ur help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You really should have said so. Sounds like all you really needed to do was clone the HDD using a program like the free Paragon Drive Backup. At least I think that is what you ended up doing, just in a very convoluted way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. And most boxed retail drives ship with free drive cloning software. If your drive didn't come with it you can download it free from the manufacture's web site. The software is smart enough to scale the partitions if that is what you want.
    Quote Quote