VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have trouble deciding the optimal file size when i rip BDs to MKV or MP4 using handbrake (h264).
    I play this via my HTPC (1080p output capable) using Media Portal.
    My TV is Full HD Plasma and projector is HD Ready.
    My receiver is not capable of decoding DTS HD.

The final result should play smoothly (no stutter) on my TV. obviously this would depend on lots of factors. but what should i know while encoding the file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I suggest, not file size but video bitrate.
    Because, bitrate changes from the movie length and all.
    so, select something around 9000Kbps and see
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Constant quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. But what would be the optimal file size if i wanted to get results like iv said. for e.g. if i have 95min video on bluray. if i had to convert that down using h264 what bitrate/file size should i be targeting.
    sorry to be a pain.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For 1080p around 8gb and 720p 4gb.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree with Baldrick's first post. Every video is different. Using constant quality encoding assures you that you will always get the quality you want, exactly the right bitrate (and file size since file size = bitrate * running time) for the video being encoded. And it's faster since it can be done in a single pass.

Look at the three videos in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/295672-A-problem-for-video-experts?p=1811057&viewfu...=1#post1811057

They are Xvid, not h.264, but the issue is the same. Which file size is is "optimal"? How could you have known beforehand?
    Quote Quote