VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Long time no see folks, I have recently bought this card new from amazon.com.
    I have windows 7 Ulti x64bit with 4gb of ram for today, installation was not a problem and tracking down the drivers.
    Problem is I'm sure you guys have seen this and heard it many times, but what will this card let access it's TV tuner hardware ?
    MS media center for 7 did find, but the damn thing will not let me select s-video or function right with composite.
    It says I need a IR signal for my comcast box ? I never had that problem before with other cards doing this but what do you expect ?
    Kmplayer sees the hardware and sees the options but everytime I try to access it it says the codecs for it are missing and refuses to work with the tv tuner without all the right codecs.
    Last I was going to use wintv 7.1 but they say they need a CD upon installtion ? o_0
    Sometimes I hate being a computer technician dealing with petty things like this, but if someone has any info would you please get back with me soon ?

Mike.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

I have a PVR-350 running XP Pro. I use GB-PVR with mc2xml.exe as my EPG(program guide).
    I also use an old version of WinTV 2000 (4.13) to capture via S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I'll let you know if I get it to jump start when I get back in this afternoon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same card. It works fine with WinTV 6 and also with ChrisTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a PVR-250 working with XP and WinTV6/BeyondTV4. I also have PVR-350 working with Vista Windows Media Center.

You will need the original CD to install WinTV6. WinTV6 does not work with 64bit Vista/Win7.

PVR drivers can be downloaded without the CD.

WinTV7 does not work with the PVR cards, only HVR.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7's Media Center is actually a decent product. I have been using it for over a year now. Yes, Windows 7's Media Center does require installation of an MCE-compatible IR Receiver with IR blaster capability when recording the output from a cable or satellite box. This is because it records based on a program guide much like a TiVo, not timers like a VCR. It needs to be able to change channels for all the recording features supplied by its guide-based recording system to work with an STB.

Using hardware for which the manufacturer provides no Windows 7 Support in a Windows 7 64 bit machine is not going to be easy. Sometimes it is impossible, even using Windows 7 Ultimate's XP virtualization. BTW have you tried XP virtualization (not XP compatibility mode) with WinTV 6? If you don't have the original CD, you can download WinTV 6 from Hauppage http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_wintv6.html

I had GBPVR installed at one time, but uninstalled it to use NextPVR/NPVR with the digital tuner on my TV Card. GBPVR might work for what you want to do. Its successor NextPVR is harder to set up for analog, and I haven't tried it for that. Media Portal doesn't look like it can use composite inputs as a source, only S-Video, and only allows manual recording from that source.

Chris TV PVR looks like it could work. It is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, but I don't know if it is possible to set it up to use your card's composite input. It is not free, but has a free trial. It isn't as expensive as some other commercial PVR programs. You could also look at Beyond TV and Sage TV.

There are free third-party capture programs that can use WDM drivers, but someone has to be there to start an stop the recording manually. They also don't allow you to use the card's MPEG-2 hardware encoding. If you are willing to use something like HuffYUV or Cedocida DV for capture, there's AmaRecTV, which I think allows you to program a stop time, but the recording must be started manually.

You might be able to build a filter graph using GraphStudio that allows manual recording from the card's composite input and encodes using the card's MPEG-2 hardware encoder. It may not allow access to all the card's features like Wintv 6, but it may come close.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2011 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As usually_quiet said you must have a MCE-compatible IR Receiver with IR blaster
    What your look for MCE IR Remote Control Kit beware there are two diff one's best get the Dual IR Blaster output
    Place to find them Ebay or Amazon
    As for download WinTV 7 it a upgrade pass for WinTV 6 and has to be rigth WinTV 6 CD or will not install so you need to order the new CD from hauppauge webstore becuases the card you have only come with WinTV2000 which can't be used as a upgrade pass to WinTV 7.
    Quote Quote