VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there! I'm Viktor from Sweden - long time reader, first time poster. Have patience with my language!

I couldn't get any help from tech forums in Sweden so I thought I'd try here - you seem to know your video. When playing standard definition videos (regular DivX or XviD AVI's) in Media Player Classic Home Cinema I notice heavy stuttering at seemingly random times. After having waited it out it disappears only to show up 20 minutes later again. This only happens with the various EVR modes, but since I'm using Windows 7 x64 I want to use EVR. VMR-9 works fine with these AVI's though.

I have an capable computer (Intel i5 Quad 2500K 3.3 GHz, GTX 560 Ti SOC 1 GB and 8 GB RAM), the latest version of MPCHC (1.5.3.3677.x64) and K-Lite Codec Pack x64. I do not have the latest driver for my video card since I got some pop-ups saying there was something wrong with the driver so I only have 275.33.

From what I read here there is a known error that is similar to mine, but from what I understand it should have been fixed with 257.21:

AVI and WMV give stuttering playback when using the NVIDIA 197.xx driver

This is a bug in the NVIDIA driver. It only happens when using the EVR Custom Presenter or EVR Sync video renderers in MPC.

This bug has been fixed since the 257.21 driver.
    Does anyone know a solution? It seems pretty weird that I can play 1080p x264 videos, but not these AVI's...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is a new nvidia 280 version driver you should try. also the codec pack probably installed lots of crap you didn't want or need. check mpc-hc external filter list and block them all except haali for mkv and mp4.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. While playing a video right click on the window and examine the Filter list. Select any of the filters to adjust any parameters. Try enabling or disabling MPCHC's internal filters to see if the system installed DirectShow filters work any better or worse. You have to exit and restart the program for those changes to take place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    there is a new nvidia 280 version driver you should try. also the codec pack probably installed lots of crap you didn't want or need. check mpc-hc external filter list and block them all except haali for mkv and mp4.
    That's the driver that didn't work properly for me (280.26). Also, I don't seem to have any external filters when looking in the options. I didn't have the K-Lite Codec Pack before, I got it to help me fix this error.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    While playing a video right click on the window and examine the Filter list. Select any of the filters to adjust any parameters. Try enabling or disabling MPCHC's internal filters to see if the system installed DirectShow filters work any better or worse. You have to exit and restart the program for those changes to take place.
    I don't see that many items on the filter list. Anything special I should be looking for? I got you a screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filters.png
Views:	219
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	8317
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's telling you MPCHC's internal decoder is being used to decode the video. First try selecting the EVR Sync filter. See if there's any setting in it that fixes the probelm. If that doesn't work try selecting MPC Video Decoder and see if there are any options there. If neither of those work try disabling the internal decoder for whatever codec is used in the video. If that doesn't help try disabling enabling the internal AVI source filter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's telling you MPCHC's internal decoder is being used to decode the video. First try selecting the EVR Sync filter. See if there's any setting in it that fixes the probelm. If that doesn't work try selecting MPC Video Decoder and see if there are any options there. If neither of those work try disabling the internal decoder for whatever codec is used in the video. If that doesn't help try disabling enabling the internal AVI source filter.
    The EVR item in the filters menu didn't have any options, just information. I tried disabling all (really all) internal filters, but that didn't help. Then I tried unticking the vertical sync for EVR and that seemed to fix it. I would like to have the vsync and D3D fullscreen enabled though, as I'm told that these settings prevents screen tearing which I can normally notice a bit when playing HD videos.
    Quote Quote