VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I've got a major problem with my new HTPC Setup; I hope anyone can help me. Here it is:

The Info:
    - HTPC Motherboard: Asus E35M1-i Deluxe (which has an OnBoard ATI Radeon HD 6310 video card)
    - Cable: 50ft HDMI cable
    - Displays (in Dual (Duplicate)):
    - Via DVI: 42" LG TV
    - Via HDMI: Epson EX7200 Projector

The Problem: Once everything is connected and turned on, the DVI-TV setup works perfectly, but the projector shows the "No Signal" screen.

The Symptoms (that might give a clue):
    - Once the projector plugged and turned on, the HTPC detects a display called "EPSON PJ".
    - When plugged, I hear a high pitch noise coming from the projector speakers (I can mute it with the projector's remote); but when I play music on my htpc, I can't hear it from the projector
    - Plugging the HTPC to the projector using the DVI ports also works perfectly.

The Tests:
    - I tried a few Catalyst drivers versions (including the latest): Not working!
    - I tried using the basic (No ATI) autodetected video drivers: No luck!
    - I tried plugging (via HDMI) the HTPC to the TV, the Satellite receiver to the Projector, even the Satellite receiver to the TV: No signal here either.
    - I tried playing with the resolutions (projector's native & a few others) and with the refresh rates (50hz,59hz,60hz): Did'nt change anything.
    - I tried playing with settings within the CCC (Catalyst Control Center): Did'nt change anything either.
    - I tried in Single display mode (HDMI) and then booting HTPC with the projector turned on: Still no signal, even during booting process.
    - I tried looking for HDMI settings in the HTPC Motherboard's bios: There are only options to play with the audio of the HDMI.
    - I tried AutoDetecting source in the projector's settings: Still the same reuslt.
    * The only thing I haven't tried yet, is an other HDMI cable.

The Questions:
    - Would I need to make the HDMI audio work in order to make the HDMI video work?
    - Does the audio signals might interfere with the video ones?
    - Do I need an HDMI signal booster with this setup?
    - Is my HDMI cable broken?
    - If so, why can the HTPC detect the "EPSON PJ" but no signal from it?
    - Anyone has an idea/solution?

Thank you
    Zack
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely your hdmi cable. What gauge is your HDMI cable at that length it needs to be 24-awg or you start to loose signal strength. I use the following cable with my set-up it works great.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-810

Good choice on the projector, for the price Epson projectors are hard to beat. I have the Epson 8350.

Other test to run would be to use a 6ft HDMI cable into the HTPC, to see if you have a signal. Also i would ditch the onboard video i tried two separate mother boards and was not satisfied with the picture. i thing the signal strength was not very good from the onboard. I used this card, i think anything higher than that is a waste for an HTPC, unless you plan to play games.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 50' HDMI cable with no problems. I don't use audio over HDMI. I plug my coaxial audio into my surround sound system. I also use HDMI via a splitter to my projector, and to my PC monitor with a HDMI>DVI adapter, along with a VGA input. Audio over HDMI is problematic at times from a video card. And the stereo speakers on a projector are pretty much useless, IMO. I would much rather use my surround amp and enjoy 5.1 audio.

One problem I see is you are using HDMI and DVI at the same time. Not sure if your video card can do that. Mine doesn't. (On board ATI 4290 GPU on a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H MB.) You can use VGA and HDMI/DVI at the same time, but unless you have two video cards, not likely to be able to use two DVI/HDMI at the same time. My onboard video works great with HDMI output for BD and other HD playback to my projector and I doubt your GPU is the problem.

What I did was to get a powered HDMI splitter. http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+splitter&x=28&y=13 That gives you two HDMI outputs that can be used at the same time. Works great for me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ASUS E35M1-M PRO has an AMD E-350 APU (CPU with an integrated GPU). The integrated Radeon HD 6310 GPU should be enough to provide satisfactory video performance for an HTPC.

If you are trying to use DVI and HDMI at the same time, redwudz is correct. It won't work. According to the specs posted at the Asus website, the Radeon HD 6310 supports dual video output from RGB + DVI, or RGB + HDMI, but not DVI + HDMI. That restriction is typical for on-board video, and some low-end discrete video cards.

The specs also say the ASUS E35M1-M PRO has one PCIe 2.0 x16 @ x4 not @x16. Since it is only @ x4, you should check the manual to see if it is possible to use a discrete video card with on-board video disabled to provide dual digital video output before installing one. Otherwise, you can either use VGA as one of the video outputs, or follow the suggestion posted by redwudz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use the old troubleshooting method of checking each link in the chain with "known good"s to remove them from the list of problem possibilities.

For example:
    Swap out the 50' HDMI cable with a short, new 3' or 6' cable.
    Swap out the projector with a good, used, smaller monitor (that has HDMI inputs) - although it sounds like you still have a problem here.
    Swap out your HTPC with a Blu-ray Player and connect to the Projector.

See where the problem lies, and change only 1 variable at a time. Soon, you'll know which has to be fixed. (It sounds to me like it might be the mobo video/DVI+HDMI thing).

50' is quite long, but is known to be ok as long as you have really good quality cable, and no kinks in it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. There may be additional problems, but the OP appeared to state that the same HDMI cable failed with both different sources and different display devices, sounds like dead-bang bad cable, at least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    There may be additional problems, but the OP appeared to state that the same HDMI cable failed with both different sources and different display devices, sounds like dead-bang bad cable, at least.
    This bit:
    " I tried plugging (via HDMI) the HTPC to the TV, the Satellite receiver to the Projector, even the Satellite receiver to the TV: No signal here either."
    is the only part where he changed the chain (and not just the settings), but one can't tell from that line whether one or more than one thing at a time was changed. That confuses things.

I suggested "Monitor/TV" and "BluRay Player" as alternatives particularly because those you don't have to worry too much about settings. The HTPC has a multitude of settings and this grows exponentially the number of things that can go wrong.

The OP could try:
    1. HTPC+shortcable+TV
    2. HTPC+shortcable+Projector
    3. HTPC+longcable+TV
    4. HTPC+longcable+Projector
    5. BDPlayer+shortcable+TV
    6. BDPlayer+shortcable+Projector
    7. BDPlayer+longcable+TV
    8. BDPlayer+longcable+Projector

A couple of those are bound to work, and then you can see the pattern and isolate the items that don't work and fix them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow!! Thanx guys for all you quick answer and support!

Turns out the HDMI cable *was* broken! Changed it and now it works flawlessly even during the boot!

See ya
    Quote Quote