VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder model DMR-EX78. Until now I have used it solely as a DVD player but recently have recorded some TV interviews and burned to disc.

I have recorded & saved a programme direct from the TV (digital not analogue) to the Panasonic hard drive as well as from the Foxtel (Australian Cable TV) IQ box to the Panasonic hard drive and then burned both recordings to disc. The discs play back without any problems in the Panasonic and they also play on my computer via Windows Media Player, VLC or Nero.

The problem arises when trying to import the data either as the complete ‘package’ or just the VOB files into my video editing software (Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 – operating on Windows 7, 64bit platform). Despite the correct settings, a 16:9 video converts to 4:3 aspect ratio and despite the file showing as the full and correct MB size, only a fraction of the file will import to the timeline in Vegas). I know its not my software as I receive numerous DVD discs from other people (using LG & Sony recorders for example) - I can read everyone else’s burned discs in my video software, except my own! So I must be missing a key step unless Panasonic is not capable of producing discs that can be used with video editing software?

My settings in the Panasonic Recorder are as follows:
    Aspect ratio = 16:9
    Recording mode= SP
    Record for high speed copy = OFF (the manual recommends this otherwise it will default to 4:3)
    Discs used = Verbatim DVD-R 16x

I’m hoping that someone on this forum is able to help me here – I’ve already wasted a dozen DVDs trying various options.
    Can anyone please recommend from experience, a DVD recorder that will burn discs capable of being imported into video editing programmes?

Many thanks
    Chrismar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would do best with a Beyonwiz, http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/ either the Lite or the P2. Records on to a hard disc and you can transfer to a PC or MAC as a standard MPEG2 TS file. Don't consider the so called Freeview model as it blocks PC transfers and ad skipping.

I suspect the DVD recorder as it follows the DVD standard the Australian digital Tv standard always transmits a 16:9 frame (4:3 material is pillar boxed with in that frame) and since the DVD standard is a 4:3 frame then off air stuff is letterboxed within that 4:3 frame. I doubt if any DVD recorders on the Australian market would process the source and anamorphic it....

If you are interested in exploring this option join the Beyonwiz forum they are a friendly and helpful group http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for your response netmask56 - will do some investigating into Beyonwiz.
    Chrismar
    Quote Quote