VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to hardsub an MKV file while maintaining the subtitles styles and placement but without rencoding the the video file? I've know of ways to do it but it means converting the file to AVI or MP4. .

I already know how to extract the subs and such so I'm sorted on that end.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must reencode when you hardsub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zepwich View Post
    I've know of ways to do it but it means converting the file to AVI or MP4. .
    Hard coded subs become part of the video stream, re-encoding is the only way.
    You don't have to change your format you can have a mkv with hard subs. but a better option may be to use MKVmerge to change the subs t forced subs. So the subs are turned on by default.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah that's a shame. My TV only reads .SRT and refuses to regonize fonts and the placements of text so sometimes things get jumbled up at the bottom. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zepwich View Post
    Ah that's a shame. My TV only reads .SRT and refuses to regonize fonts and the placements of text so sometimes things get jumbled up at the bottom. Thanks for the help anyway.
    I think you are confusing things hard subs are not read by the TV they are part of the video stream. To say your tv reads srt subs indicates that it can handle soft subs. What model is your TV?
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I see. So, basically, your MKV has one or more ASS/SSA-format subtitle streams, which your TV doesn't support - but you'd like to be able to view them on the TV. Unfortunately, it only supports SRT format subs, and, of course, converting ASS/SSA (or any other similar format) to SRT will lose all the formatting, placement, effects, font styles, etc.

I don't think there's a way around this without hardsubbing the video (meaning you'll have to re-encode), as your TV doesn't support any other format of subs.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote