VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks. I think my Title says it all. Looking for advice. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming you're using the term correctly, i.e. decrypting and copying to hard drive....

Probably best to use Boot Camp and do it under Windows with one of these:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think there actually is a ripper for BluRays on Macs, but you should have posted in our Mac forum. The vast majority of us in the non-Mac specific forums like this are rarely able to help with Mac specific questions. I have serious questions as to how up to date this program is because the only Windows rippers are all relatively expensive and if I remember correctly the Mac one is free. On the Windows side of things keeping BluRay rippers up to date is such a pain in the butt that only 2 commercial companies not located in the USA will do it. There was a free software attempt to provide a ripper a few years ago but the maintainers gave up and abandoned it because of all the work it took to stay current. So in other words I think there is a Mac ripper, but don't be surprised if it's not very good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Assuming you're using the term correctly, i.e. decrypting and copying to hard drive....

Probably best to use Boot Camp and do it under Windows with one of these:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

Good luck.
    Yeah I want to but my SSD in my new mac mini is being uncooperative. I just get a blinking cursor after the reboot to the USB key made with the boot camp assistant. Heard it is a problem with SSDs. Really pissing me off....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some SSDs require firmware updates. It would have been nice if you didn't have to do that yourself, but it may be necessary. I was getting some weird behavior out of mine under Windows 7 but I did some searching and I found out about a firmware update and it fixed my issues. I am talking about a Windows only installation but the firmware update may still be necessary for you, unfortunately. Manufacturers ship SSDs all the time that are not up to date on the firmware.

I assume that you bought one of those new Mac minis and it came from Apple with an SSD. If you picked up some old mini from years ago and dumped an SSD into it, that would not be a good idea.

I'm not a fan of boot camp and unless you are going to play Windows games on a Mac, I feel that running Windows under a VM on Mac with something like VMware Fusion is a superior choice over dual booting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
    Hi folks. I think my Title says it all. Looking for advice. Thanks!
    Hopefully this helps a bit:

I purchased a Panasonic MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS just this month when thee price reached something I could afford.
    Attached to Mac-Mini; (running Lion); via USB from which it draws power.
    For best results plug in and then reboot the system. (At least I found so).

Assuming you have the Bluray burner of your choice already: (And this is up elsewhere on the site).
    - MakeMKV: (Free 30 days trail, then you need to pay): creates MKV's of all Bluray content.
    - Handbrake: (free): You can use this to compress the MKV to a file suitable to burn to a DVD5 or DVD9.
    or:
    - Foxreal Blu-Ray Ripper: looks just like it's PC cousin. You can preform full disc rips to your hard drive, or convert to other formats. It's about $50.

I use Toast Titanium to burn to DVD. Haven't tried it with Bluray yet as I'm still waiting on some re-writeable blu-ray media to arrive. I like to test burn everything first.

Note: I'm in Australia; (BD Region Code B) - With the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS bluray reader/burner I can watch and rip "Region Code B" Bluray films with no issues. I had previously purchased a "Region Code A" film from the USA which simply will not mount when I try the above. So I'll post about that elsewhere. So you should be fine with Bluray from your region.

That's it.
    Quote Quote