VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I want to know if DSLR/HDSLR cameras conform to the NTSC and PAL standards, in other words are there NTSC DSLR and PAL DSLR cameras?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nsally,

You need to research your terms a little more. DSLR (digital single lens reflex) is just a kind of camera and has nothing to do with conforming to a standard. I don't know what a HDSLR is, sounds like a marketing term to describe a DSLR which can shoot high definition.

SD does not equal NTSC or PAL. HD does not equal ATSC. But.... NTSC and PAL are considered standard definition formats. And ATSC is considered a high definition format.

HD just means high definition, typically 1280x720 pixels or 1920x1080 pixels. But you can call a camera HD even if it can only shoot 15 progressive frames a second using any codec. 15fps would not conform to ATSC.

SD is standard definition which typically refers to 640x480 or 720x480 pixel resolution. But, again if you shoot 640x480 in 20p, it would not be NTSC.

ATSC and NTSC and PAL are all standards which define ranges of pixel resolution, frames per second, and other stuff I don't know.

Furthermore, I am unaware of any new camcorder or DSLR that shoots SD resolution footage, let alone SD footage which complies with NTSC. NTSC, would have to be interlaced, I definitely know there are no DSLRs that shoot interlaced video.

Normally, you just shoot footage using whatever format your camera captures then convert it to some standard during post production.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a somewhat confusing setting in the newer Nikon cameras under the "SETUP" menu that appears to allow you to select between NTSC and PAL....but in reality that can only be for photo/slideshow playback via the supplied cables to an (NTSC or PAL) television.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Some cameras can switch video recording mode between PAL (25p / 50i) and NTSC (24p/30p/60i) but others are fixed to the region where they are sold.
    As an example I think the new Sony NEX-5N is either "PAL" or "NTSC" depending on where you buy it. It is not very fun if you get a camera that can only record 30 fps video when you want to convert it to PAL DVD...
    Ronny
    Quote Quote