VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have installed ubtuntu 11.04 from 10.04. Everything went fine i was surfing the net without any issues. When i turned on my laptop today to use ubuntu It won't let me connect it keeps saying check my internet connection. I didn't change nothing. I just updated the stuff in the update manager and rebooted and laptop was fine. But now i can't get the net to work on ubuntu. I know my net work cause i have windows 7 installed on my laptop to. I just uninstalled ubuntu and reinstalled it thinking it would fix my issue but it didn't. On ubuntu 10.04 the wireless worked the first day then next day only wired connection worked. I am not sure what to do or how to fix this issue its buging me alot i love ubuntu as much as i love windows 7. I been surfing the net for help on how to fix this but they don't seem to help. And i am still new to ubuntu so step by step help will be good cause i just installed ubuntu last friday. If you need need more information let me know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you do a fresh install or re-install over your previous install. Sounds like there could have been a driver update, i had something similar happen to me with my netbook.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i uninstalled it on windows Maybe it didn't uninstall correctly. Then i reinstalled many times and everything else works in it expect the net. Also i choose install inside windows not the full install.
    Last edited by Wizard23; 15th Aug 2011 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I created a ubtuntu 11.04 disk yesterday. I used this disk to do a live install on a lab computer without internet connection to test the OS... I liked it. I plan on using it as a tech, as I am in school for such training.

I then brought the CD to my laptop, which is connected to the AT-T Uverse internet, wireless. I did a Live install, and attempted to access the internet. The OS does not pick up my internet connection, even though it is broadcasting it's SSID. I tried to manually put in the information to no avail. So the roaming feature apparently is not working on 11.04.

My question is how is the best way to try and access my wireless connection using the Live version? This will be required for sure, when I am out and about and need to access the internet on a system that Windows has fully crashed on.

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Service Pack 1

Dell Inspiron 1545
    Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHZ 2.20
    RAM: 4:00 GB
    HD: 280GB
    System: 64-Bit

Wireless AP: AT&T U-Verse
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This article may help those that are having wireless problems with this release of Ubuntu.
    http://computerandu.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/how-to-solve-no-wireless-networks-in-ubuntu-11-04/

From what I could find out with a quick search, 11.04 seems to have broken some wireless functionality on some computers that worked fine on previous releases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much... I am about ready to toss in the hat on this one. This is day two that I have done exactly what this article says, and no luck. I was planning on using this as a "tool", however, if I can not access the internet, it becomes a worthless cd for me. I am just glad I did not install it on my main computer! I operated it on my main using the LiveCD option. I certainly can not recommend this OS to anyone at this point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are lots of other flavors of linux that will do the same things as ubuntu. try some others til you find one you like. my fav is mint.

http://distrowatch.com/
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Cypresso - Try an earlier release like 10.04 and it will probably work. What I find distressing is that I saw reports of problems from posts made in April and it looks like Ubuntu still doesn't have a handle on it. Sadly, you may have to wait for version 12 to get this fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss - will Mint and others work as a LiveCD?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, jman. I will try that maybe over the weekend.
    Quote Quote