VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to send the video output from a DVD player to 2 different TVs at the same time. The output plug is a RCA/composite type plug, so I will need a splitter. Do you know if I can use any type of RCA splitter? I've found some on ebay that claim to be for audio connections, but I wonder if they will also work for video connections? For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-RCA-Y-Adapter-2-Female-1-Male-Audio-Splitter-/220725801629?pt=Ot...item336448729d
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Theoretically, I would say yes. Practically, I would say no since the signal is being split without some form of amplification there is going to be some loss and I think that composite leads are only suitable for short run lengths.

Surely your dvd player has more than one type of video output ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's no difference. If it's got an RCA type plug you can use it for whatever you like - audio or video. There's also no value in paying big bucks for "better ones" as they're all pretty much the same.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, those type of splitters will usually work. The signal received by two devices is lower than normal but most devices will not have a problem with that -- as long as your cables aren't excessively long. The AGC circuits will automatically adjust the video levels (they are designed to handle varied levels). You may need to crank up the audio level a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The audio line output impedance of DVD players are low enough (1kΩ to 10KΩ) and the audio input impedance of TVs are high enough (50kΩ upwards), creating a bridge situation such that there are no likely problems even if one DVD player's outputs were Y'd to connect to two TVs simultaneously.
    Video, though, is specifically 75Ω open-terminated impedance on the DVD player, which is designed to be met by a 75Ω shunt impedance on the TV. Two identical TVs would receive exactly half of the voltage they would normally (0.5Vp-p, against 1.0Vp-p) and this might be reflected in a lower contrast, which may or may not be noticeable, or be corrected by adjustments. Different TVs behave differently, though, so it all depends. Some TVs might suck out more of the video from the DVD player than others, so it would appear to have an OK picture but the other TV would display zilch.
    One critical component of a composite video signal (or the Y in S-video or in YPbPr) is the sync level, which gets truncated along with the rest of the signal when Y'd to more than one TV. The sync is ideally 0.3V from negative tip to base, and some TVs can survive and make do with 0.1V or less (stable picture), but some absolutely need the 0.3V or else display nothing (today's LCDs are gratingly designed to produce a stable, watchable picture when input signal conditions are met, and a black or blue screen otherwise; unlike older tube TV pictures are not muted even then, and we see pictures falling sideways, visible VBI when the vertical hold doesn't lock, etc).
    Ultimately, Y'd cables will work in some situations, while others will require an active (powered) A/V splitter.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the great replies, everyone.
    Quote Quote